Chapter 6

Will you go on a date with me?

Those words echoes through Sherlocks brain, they made his heart rate increase as his breathing ceased and he only had one answer in his head, the answer that made the most sense, yet made no sense at all. John.

"Well?" John asked nervously.

"Um, well I-- yes John" Sherlock breathed out, a smile creeping across his face. "Really, me?"

"Of course you, no ones ever been as close to me as you and I want to take advantage of our rare opportunity, and your also beautiful so why would I have any other options?" John chuckled, hugging Sherlock close to him.

"Not beautiful!" Sherlock muttered, his face blushing deeply.

"Terrible liar and way to modest" John chuckled, pecking Sherlock on the cheek as he pushed him to sit down on the sofa with his tea, so John could go off and make dinner reservations.

Sherlock smiled to himself when John left the room, he hadn't felt this happy ever, he just hoped it would all go well otherwise what it took to get here wouldn't have been worth it.

Whenever John touched him, it felt like the world had become that much brighter, compared to the suicidal mess he'd been before John had first spoken to him, he was a better man now, two years on and he was stronger and smarter and he was experiencing more than just love.

John came back into the room, sitting down next to Sherlock and leaning on the detectives shoulder in an affectionate way.

"Did we ever learn to understand how we are connected this way?" Sherlock asked on a serious note.

"I've just come to accept it as the fact that we're soulmates and this is one of those rare chances we can't waste. I've never felt this for anyone, to be fair I never really felt for anyone at all, but then your here and I can't believe my luck" John whispered, stroking his hand through Sherlocks hair for the first proper time.

His hair was softer than it looked and wrapped loosely around his fingers, Sherlock sighed quietly and leaned his head on John as he continued until John gently guided Sherlock to lay on his lap and began to massage through his chocolate curls properly. Sherlock let out a small gasp as John gently tugged at his hair and tickled along his hair line. 

"Soulmates" Sherlock whispered to himself with a small smile and John chuckled quietly, eyes full of care for the gentle man in his arms.

***

Later that evening, Sherlock and John had neatened themselves up to their best ability, Sherlock had tried to flatten down his untamable hair but with no luck and John had been watching with amusement as Sherlock tried to sort his hair.

"I like it the way it is" John said, and Sherlock just automatically assumed it was their telepathic talking that he'd gotten used to until he felt John's hands wrap around his waist from behind and rest his head between Sherlocks shoulder blades, feeling each other's gentle breathing.

Sherlock chuckled and rested his larger hands over John's that lay on his stomach, feeling John's skin against his own and feeling the world light up around him.

"I want to keep you forever" John sighed, pressing a kiss to the nape of Sherlocks neck.

"Forever? I like that" Sherlock chuckled, john lifted his head up.

"How did you know what I was thinking, I never said that out loud" John said in awe.

"You said 'I want to keep you forever', I heard you" Sherlock pointed out.

"I never said it out loud, that's never happened before" John said with a smile.

So if we touch, we can hear each others thoughts? Sherlock thought silently to himself.

Yes Sherlock, I believe so.

John wrapped his arms tighter and began trailing kisses along Sherlocks neck, past his ear and then along his jaw line.

I love you John thought as he kissed tenderly against the smooth pale skin off the man in his arms. Sherlock turned around and looked at him in shock and adoration.

"Really?" Sherlock asked quietly, a gentle pink blush tinting his cheeks.

"Always" John whispered, cupping Sherlocks face in his hand and gently trailing is thumb along the detectives cheek as they brought their lips together and kissed each other lovingly, soft and gentle as they always had been.

"Best birthday present ever" Sherlock whispered against John's lips, voice cracking with emotion. John kissed him again before taking his hand gently, lacing their fingers and guiding Sherlock to the cab waiting outside.