Chapter 10

Sherlock managed to get himself into the waiting room with only one other person to look at his mangled appearance and the blood that was seeping through his clothes.

A nurse came through with a clipboard and looked at the two people waiting before reading from her board.

"A Mr Sherlock Holmes, to see Doctor Watson now" she said in her polite yet monotone drawl. Sherlock winced as he stood up to follow her into the room before she left again on other errands.

Sherlock was greeted with John, in doctors coat and blue trousers with a stethoscope hanging round his neck.

"Hello Sherlock" John said in greeting, "just sit down over there for me" he pointed at the hospital bed over in the corner. Sherlock pushed himself up onto the bed wincing again as it made him stretch the wound open slightly.

John then approached him, a pitiful smile on his face before he helped Sherlock out of his coat. Once his coat was hung up on the rack he moved back over to him.

"What am I going to do with you hm?" John sighed as he took in the bloodstained blazer and shirt. He slowly undid the blazer and then moved to the shirt, today's color being a maroon color. Each button opened, revealed the pale skin of the detective until the shirt was finally wriggled off his shoulders.

John got his stethoscope out, warming the end against his hand and breathing on it before he held it against Sherlocks chest, holding one hand round his back and listening carefully. Slightly elevated but he knew Sherlock well enough to know why.

He removed the stethoscope and then turned fully to the wounds on Sherlocks skin, the gash to his side and arm. The gash to his side was fairly deep but the weapon was sharp and clean so shouldn't be so much of a problem.

John had his fingers brushing against Sherlocks chest in a comforting gesture as he leaned down to inspect the gash.

"I need to clean this first okay" John said softly, moving over to get some alcohol and cotton which he then carefully cleaned the blood and dirt away to stop infection.

"This is going to need stitches" John said apologetically, before moving to get the needle and thread. He moved back down to Sherlocks side and injected something to numb the area all over before preparing the needle and thread and then carefully pressing through the pale skin and pulling it tightly together. "Tell me if I hurt you"

Eventually John had wrapped it in gauze and moved onto his arm, a smaller gash this time and less blood. John managed to clean it and then use butterfly stitches to hold it closed so that it would heal, he then wrapped gauze right around Sherlocks bicep to keep it clean. Once he was finished he pressed a gentle kiss to Sherlocks arm and then to his stomach, slightly away from the wound, earning a small giggle out of the detective.

"Thankyou John" Sherlock said afterwards, John just nodded and hugged him close, his lips meeting the detective and getting a small gasp out of him when he pushed him backwards to lie down on the bed. "You have more patients than me" Sherlock pointed out.

"Actually, I just finished my shift" John pointed out with a sly grin.

"Maybe not in the doctors office though" Sherlock thought, poking John in the chest and having John help him back up.

John fetched Sherlocks coat and helped him slip his arms into the soft material before turning to button the coat up all the way.

John helped Sherlock off the bed and made sure everything was clean before taking Sherlocks discarded shirt and jacket which he folded neatly and placed in a bag before slipping then into his own bag so he could take them home.

He nudged Sherlock out to leave early so it didn't look odd, leaving the building with a patient, and then logged out of the shift having been there for eight hours already. He met Sherlock outside and they decided to head home together.

"This coat feels weird on bare skin" Sherlock spoke after a while of silence, earning a chuckle out of both men.

"First thing you could think to say eh?" John asked, locking Sherlocks hand with his and letting Sherlock entwine their fingers.

Too far away Sherlock thought and John smiled.

Not so far now John assured. John could hear the deductions, rattling off every person they passed. Your brain never turns off does it? He asked looking up at Sherlocks face, only receiving a shake of his head. Maybe I'll find a way to turn it off..

"J-John!" Sherlock stuttered, looking at John in disbelief as John just grinned wickedly.

"All in good time love" John decided, squeezing Sherlocks hand gently before rising to his full height and pecking Sherlock on the nose before continuing to walk.

Sherlock walked slowly, his mouth opening and closing like a goldfish, unsure of what to say.