Chapter 29: Comfrontation and the Sly Duke

Start from the beginning

"We treated our daughter like a diamond, our precious princess, and this is what she got?" He spewed out, his facial muscles tightened. His lips slammed into a tight, grim line. It seemed that even the air in the room stopped from circulating, only their harsh breathings filled my ears.

Guilt washed over.

"Dad!" Natalia exclaimed.

Glancing at me apologetically as she tugged her father's arm to get his attention, but his cold and sinister gaze was glued on me, pinning me.

"Please," Natalia begged.

"Nick," Dad mediated, but Uncle Nick just threw him a challenging stare. "We will rectify it," he negotiated.

"And how would you rectify it, Rafael? The whole nation is mocking now my daughter!" he ground out. My shoulder slumped. I looked away, guilt gnawing in my gut.

"I'm sorry, Uncle Nick. I admit I was reckless, and I apologize deeply." I slowly dragged it back to him my gaze. I felt mom's hand wrapped around my forearm. I could feel the sympathy she's sending me, her support. "I made a lot of mistakes, and I hurt her badly, but I can assure you, our relationship was never a front. I love her since then, I just wish I realize that in the beginning." I explained, readying myself to receive whatever he's about to do. I shifted my gaze at Natalia, but she was staring at her father.

"I will take her back to Greece, and you will never see her again!" He growled.

My body turned rigid. My heart contracted just thinking of her taken away from me. I snapped my eyes at Natalia, and she just swallowed hard. I could tell, she wasn't going to defy her father's order. And all my hopes evaporated into thin air.

"Nicolas!" Aunt Addy cried out. "Let Natalia decide!" she spat, and all attentions shifted to Natalia.

"She brought herself to humiliation after deciding who to go out with!" Uncle Nick growled gruffly, sending his wife a warning look.

"I know, but who cares about people?" Aunt Addy retorted grimly. She turned her gaze to her Natalia. "We all makes mistakes," she gave her a loving gaze before dragging it back to her fuming husband.

Uncle Nick was staring at her in disbelief, though I could tell that he adored her, even with that sinister look. "Your dad made a mistake of running away after he got what he wanted..." she paused, smiling at him and Uncle Nick's scowled darkly at her, though is facial muscles loosened. "I made a mistake of hiding him Nicolai, but fate brought us back together." She gave Uncle Nicolas a smile that filled with love and adoration. That seemed to calm him. His unclenched his clenched hands, but his scowl planted on his face. "We all have flaws," she added, glancing at everyone before resting her gaze at Natalia.

Natalia's glistening eyes trained on her mother as she nodded. "I love him, and I've forgiven him," Natalia admitted, and in an instant, my knees wobbled, then it gave up.

Everyone let out a startled gasp when I dropped on my knees, dropped my gaze to the floor, and let the unyielding tears of happiness rolled down my cheeks. I felt an overwhelming joy, I couldn't control my emotion. My shoulders shook as I cried quietly.

At that moment, I forget about everyone. I didn't care if I look weak because I can't deny that I am weak when it comes to her, my Natalia.

I felt my mother's arms around me. "Shh..." mom cooed, and I didn't dare look up; I can feel everyone's eyes trained on me. "I don't deserve her," I whispered, wiping the tears away.

"Everyone deserves a chance, and she loves you," Mom whispered back. "Cherish her." 

Yes, and I will. I'm the happiest man alive.

I smelled Natalia's scent, causing me to looked up. She was hovering over me. She smiled, her eyes are damped with tears locked on mine. Mom pulled away, and I quickly rose up, then gathered her into my arms, holding her tight like she's going to fade. "I love you so much!" I whispered against her hair, ignoring all the eyes bored at us.

Natalia snuggled her face against my chest, her hands tightened around my waist.

"And you will have a lifetime to prove how much you love me," she whispered against my chest, and I instantly pulled her at arm's length, silently groaning at the disconnection of our body, but I wanted to confirm something.

"Do you mean... you are accepting my proposal?" I asked, blinking twice as I gaze at her with high hope.

She smiled and nodded. "Yes."

A tear of joy escaped my eyes and pulled her back into my arms. "Oh, Pumpkin. I am so happy!" I cried out, kissing the sides of her head and she giggled against my chest.

"Well, enough of the merriment. Let's plan the wedding, I want it sooner!" Uncle Nick grumbled. He seemed the only one who wasn't happy. "And release my princess, you're holding her too tight!" he scowled at me.

"It's all planned out!" Grandpa exclaimed dragging everyone's attention. I snapped my head to him. All eyes bored into him, all with the same facial expression.

He was lounging on his chair the whole time, quietly listening to the drama. I didn't even recognize him there sitting while everyone was on their heels, eyes hot on me.

Grandpa gave everyone an innocent look. He ignored it. "The press conference is starting in half an hour. It's perfect to announce the wedding this Saturday." He brushes the lint off his coat, then fixed his buttons. He looked lively than ever.

"Wedding? This Saturday?" Natalia said, pulling herself away from my hold.

Grandpa gave her a wink.

"Dedushka!" Grandfather. Mom exclaimed. "You planned all of these?" she shrieked unladylike.

Grandpa gave my father — who was quiet the whole time — a scowl. Dad looked away. "I'm not alone." He gave mom a rueful smile, dragging his eyes back to dad." Dad's eyes roamed around the room, and he seemed fascinated by the ceilings.

"Rafael!" Mom snapped.

"Huh?" dad feigned, eyebrows lifting up innocently and I chuckled, pulling Natalia to my side. She chuckled, too. I don't know how much in the event grandpa devised, but I will not give him the satisfaction.

Oh, this crooked old man!

But I'm grateful, it's just that, it's frustrating to know that he played us with his hands.

.......

I think two more chapters, then an Epilogue. 

Btw, thank you for all those who extend their supports by voting me. The vote is still open until the 15th of April. There's two more days, guys. The voting is easy. 

Here's a simple instruction: 

Click this 👉🏿 KIS_Awards, then go to the published books. Choose the first book called 'Reader's Choice Voting.' Then scroll down the pages or chapters in the book, and there should be a page for me, it says, Author's name MsDreamerGirl84. Go to that page, then hit the star. It's like voting when you like a chapter in your favorite book. 

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! I'll try to complete this book this weekend. 

Enjoy!!