The Reaping

Flint Green's POV

Reaping Day in District 4 is always a drag. You turn up, tributes get reaped, shellshocked parents cry and scream, and you go home. The golden sun beats down on me as I walk down the cobbled street towards the Town Square in what any poor District 4 child can call his best clothes. My white buttoned up shirt is tucked into my grey, itchy shorts which are pulled up high enough to the point of extreme uncomfortableness.

When I arrive at the square most children are already gathered in their age sections, decreasing in age until you reach the makeshift stage. Sensing I may be late, I increase my walking pace and let the Peacekeeper in charge cut my thumb and press it down on the grey paper until the machine that can identify my blood recognoses me as Flint Green.

I hurry to the fifteen year old age section just as the Mayor starts speaking, but I don't listen. I'm not interested. Then our District Escort, Minnie Diamond, introduces herself and wastes no time at all choosing the small slips from the large glass bowls.

'So without further ado, ladies first.' she says in her perky, high pitched voice.

'So!' she squeaks. 'Our female tribute is..' Everyone in the square seems to hold their breath as the first slip of today is opened. 'Robin Mayflower.' Everyone turns to see a girl walk from the fourteen year old division. Then a girl near the back of the crowd shouts 'I volunteer!' But she doesn't have a relation with Robin. I know that. She is undoubtedly a career tribute, tributes who spend their youth training for these Games, volunteering if their name isn't called for their chance to bring pride to their country.

Robin looks relieved and I can't blame her to be honest.

'It looks like we have a volunteer!' Minnie shouts. 'Now, what is your name?' she asks as the well built girl bounces up to the stage.

'My name is Savannah Williams.' she says, full if ecstasy.

'Now, for the second girl!' Minnie exclaims.

Oh, I probably should have mentioned. This year is the 6th Quarter Quell. It has been announced that instead of 24 tributes, there will be 120. Ten for each district. So five boys and five girls.

I start to daydream as Minnie chooses the remaining four girls' names, two more career tributes volunteering for a sixteen year old and a twelve year old.

'Right!' Minnie shouts, seeming to wake the crowd from the delirium setting in. 'Our five female tributes! Out three careers, Savannah Williams, Bella Stone, and Monica Channing, and our other two females, Rosie James and Piper Whittinglow. Now for the boys!'

Realisation that my name could be picked snaps me out of my daydream. The first four names are picked and three Careers, Harry Jones, Cairo Forrest, and Marvin Chalmers volunteer for the first three names picked, leaving them and a twelve year old boy named Andrew Taylor.

Okay, I've made it this far. I won't get picked. Minnie picks the final name and opens the slip. I can tell anticipation is rising in the crowd.

'Flint Green!'

My blood seems to turn to lead, I am unable to move. Heads turn to stare at me, and all I can do is hope a career will volunteer for me as I walk towards the stage. But they don't.

With the uttermost amount of glee, Minnie shouts 'My my! What a large selection of tributes!'

The words pierce me like daggers. Tributes. I am a tribute in the largest games since 150 years ago. I barely have time to process the information before a red curtain falls down, blocking us from view, and we are dragged away to the Capitol Train.