Chapter Thirty: News!

Start from the beginning

Jumping up to my feet, all the previous pain washed from my body, I began lifting up the clothes which were folded neatly into the suitcase. Blindly, I threw them behind me onto my bed. The same thoughts flashed through my mind as I rummaged through the suitcase.

Who could have come up to my room and put these clothes in here?

As I was removing the clothes from the suitcase, my room door swung open. I froze immediately - arm hanging in mid-swing - and snapped my head towards the intruder. My eyebrows furrowed and my heartbeat quickened as a man in baggy cargo pants and a wife beater entered my room. Various stains covered his clothing and there were numerous holes worn into his pants as well. Holding my breath, I watched in horror as the man walk across the room and went over to my desk. Without a second glance, he picked it up and began walking back towards the door with my desk in his arms.

I watched transfixed as the stranger exited my room, not seeming to notice the confused girl sitting on the floor. I sure as hell had a right to be confused too! 

Snapping out of my dazed trance, I stood up from my position on the floor in a flurry. With a speed I didn’t know I possessed, I raced down the floor and towards the stairs. From the top of the banister, I saw the strange man walking out of the house, my desk in tow. Taking the steps two at a time, I flew out of the house. I stopped dead in my tracks at the sight that beheld me.

An enormous white truck was parked in the driveway of my house. Taking a quick glance inside the open back of the truck, I noticed multiple pieces of furniture piled neatly inside of it. I squinted at the familiar pieces of wood and my eyes nearly bulged out of my head when I realized the furniture belonged to my family.

“What the hell?”

Hearing my cry, a couple of workers standing by the truck abruptly turned towards me. They gave me a little nod as a sign for hello before walking over to an even more familiar figure standing off to the right of the truck. My mom.

With a grim expression sketched on my face, I determinedly walked over to my mother. Shoving aside the workers who surrounded her, I placed my hands on my hips and looked up at her expectantly. She didn’t seem to notice her daughter standing in front of her considering she ignored me and continued talking to the workers.

Frustrated, I reached out a hand and tugged on her shirt impatiently. Startled, she looked around before glancing down at me. Her startled expression quickly turned monotone as she looked at me. It didn’t take a genius to figure out I had ruined her happy-go-lucky mood of a few seconds ago.

“Oh, it’s only you. What do you want?”

I couldn't help, but feel like a child under her gaze. Crossing my arms over my shoulders, I gestured towards the workers - if they even were workers - who were staring at me expectantly.