04. your heart can

Start from the beginning

Focus on the menu. Focus on the menu. Focus on the menu. But it's impossible to focus on the stinky menu because there are so many thoughts rushing through my head. First, why would Katherine be saying all of these things? Who did she wanted to get a reaction from? Certainly not me because I didn't care at all. He's a stranger. He's allowed to do whatever he wants. Was that why he hugged me and acted like he cared about me? Because he thought he could charm me with his overrated looks and make me one of his hook ups? A completely new set of feelings begin to grow on me, disgust... anger... envy? jealousy?... disappointment. And though I've barely eaten and was starving just a few seconds ago, I don't feel hungry anymore but then I feel his body tense up as Katherine speaks, giving away the feeling that she's speaking about a lot more than just hookups. He's a stranger. I don't know him. I shouldn't care.

"Tell me little Gilbert, have you had many boyfriends? I bet you-" begins Katherine cynically but he cuts her off before she can finish her sentence.

"Why don't we focus on what we'll order, instead?" he suggested giving her an annoyed look "Do you know what you want?" he asks not even turning his head to see me. So I don't bother in answering.

"Now the roles are inverted, I'm interested" said Katherine looking at us entertained "Was it something I said?"

"Ready to order?" said Summer interrupting what was the most uncomfortable conversation ever and I was glad.

"I'll have a number four with a tea" said Katherine but Summer didn't even bother in looking at her as she took the order, she was completely lost in Kai's hypnotizing blue eyes, to which Katherine rolled her eyes to.

"How 'bout you blue eyes" said Summer in the most flirtatious tone I've ever heard in my entire life and I begin to feel the need to vomit, I just wanted to leave this place.

"Number two with a beer." he replies irritated not even looking at her but this only incites Summer even more.

"And you?" she asks referring to me in the most monotonous tone, and I want to laugh but I stop myself from doing so.

"Nothing. I'm not hungry" I reply simply closing the menu, there is an awfully uncomfortable long pause and he lets out an exasperated sigh. Katherine smiles fades as she watches his reaction but it's only for a fraction of a second, so I can't see it.

"She'll have number two, no onions, with a chocolate shake and also a bottle of water," Kai says and it almost sounds like he's reciting this from memory. Summer leaves glancing at him one last time but his eyes are locked on the table as he continues speaking "... just in case the milkshake is too sweet, which it will be, so she'll have the water and it won't give her a headache"

A chill runs through my spine as he says all of this, how did he know all of those things? No onions, my favourite shake but most importantly about the water... it's one of my things that Emma says they're weird but funny. One of my things, that I don't say out loud and you would only know if you'd spent enough time with me to get to know me that well. But then I remember what Katherine said 'He's been watching you for months now'. So that's how he knew and the thought of someone knowing me that well, a stranger, terrified me. And now I am finally beginning to react the way I should have from the start.

"I want to go home" I mumbled and I realize there's fear in my voice, to which he just lets out a frustrated and exhausted sigh this time, as if this whole thing is really wearing him out.

"You can't go home, you won't go home. Nor Mystic Falls or London, not until we fix Damon's little-" exhales Kai but he's too angry to finish, so he smacks his fist on the table instead and Katherine flinches. The sight of Katherine flinching prevents me from doing it too because it's the first time I've seen the Katherine Pierce flinch like that at someone other than... Klaus. Klaus... Klaus is in New Orleans! That's the face I've been trying to come across with. Katherine's number one enemy, and as soon as I remember this I know I need to find my way to him. Although Klaus tried to kill Elena, Stefan, Damon, Jeremy and almost every one I knew. He had a soft spot for me. For some strange reason, he had actually ended up saving my life more than once. Asking for nothing else but my forgiveness in return. And I had a bond with him but that's something not even Elena knew about, because I really couldn't explain it myself. So I know he's the only one near enough to save me from whatever mess I was in. He's a freaking mega-powerful hybrid, he could do a lot more than just save me and I was sure he was not going to rest until Katherine was back in hell. It was my upper hand, and the less they knew about it the better. Team K zero, Madison one.