Selflessly (Bennett x Reader)

WARNING: a smidge of angst(?), implied beating or violence(?), no happy ending (for now?)

As requested by 12344wjdjdjd

In which Bennett acts selflessly and makes a decision for you.

Bennett considers himself the most reasonable person amongst the Musketeers. He doesn't lose his temper as easily as Declan or cracks jokes like Jordan. He definitely doesn't act upon his emotions like Naomi. His constant facial expression is proof he doesn't lose control of his emotions. However, all sense of rationality disappears from him when he sees you; your matted hair, your bruised face, and your broken body on a cold, dirty floor.

Bennett wants to run up to you, to check if you're okay at least, but he doesn't. He's frozen, his feet glued to the floor as he stands at the doorway of your cell. He looks away from you, his black hair falling further over his face as his facial expression remains blank, but the Musketeers know better. "Jordan, Declan, get (Your name) out of here," Bennett commands, his voice quivering with barely suppressed rage. His chest heaves as he struggles to breath, his trembling hands curling into fists.

They rush to you, Jordan checking for fatal wounds before Declan gently lifts you bridal style. You groan in protest since your body aches, but that only makes Bennett grit his teeth. His vision goes red, and Bennett can't see through his anger. He turns on his heel and heads straight to the pile of beaten up bodies. Several members of The Lost Boys, the ones who kidnapped you. He snatches one if them by the collar, easily lifting them up to his face. He leans in close as he asks, "What do you want?"

"What?" the Lost Boy groans in pain, barely conscious.

"Why would you kidnap (Your name)? Did Nicotine order you?" Bennett questions him, his voice dangerously calm. His ice, blue eyes are burning, whether from holding back tears or the anger that is threatening to erupt inside him, he doesn't know. He doesn't care. All he knows is that if he hadn't met you, you wouldn't be in this mess.

The Lost Boy manages a weak scoff, "Nicotine had nothing to with this. Some of us decided to take matters in our own hands and-"

In other words, it wasn't even an order, they just did it for fun.

Bennett interrupts him by slamming him down to the floor, hard enough to make the Lost Boy unconscious. A part of Bennett knows if he beats this boy within an inch of death, it won't help you, but at the same time it will make him feel a lot better. This kid deserves it, all of The Lost Boys deserve it, for touching you.

You wake up in the comfort of an unfamiliar bed. Tired, you blink slowly, narrowing your eyes at the bright lights of the chandelier - wait - you don't have a chandelier in your bedroom. You don't even have one in your home. You attempt to sit up, but your muscles ache, making you slump back into the bed with a grunt. You try to relax, which was easy considering you were in a comfortable king sized bed... that wasn't yours! Still groggy from sleep, you finally realized that you're not home and scan the rest of your surroundings, only to find yourself in an unfamiliar room. You look down at yourself, finding that you've been cleaned and your clothes replaced with clean ones that weren't yours. Your arms had been bandaged.

"Where am I?" You groan. You feel something shift at the edge of your bed, and you look down to see Bennett sleeping, his head resting in the crook of his arms like a pillow. Ignoring the ache in your bandaged arm, you reach out to nudge him. "Bennett?" You croak, your voice hoarse from lack of use. But the sound of your voice is enough to wake him.

"(Your name), you're awake," Bennett states as he sits up. He gives you a smile, although you could tell that it doesn't reach his eyes.

Still, you return the smile with your own and nod before asking, "Where am I?"

"My apartment," He replies, but his smile is replaced by a frown. "Do you remember what happened?"

"Ummm... Not much. It's kind of hazy, but I remember going home late. Then something hit me in the back of my head," you answer, wincing when you touch a tender spot at the back of your skull.

Noting your flinch, Bennett grimaces as he apologizes, "(Your name), I am so sorry. I," he takes a deep breath and focuses his gaze to the floor. "I think it's best we don't see each other. At least for a while."

Your brow furrows in confusion. "I don't understand."

"I mean," he looks back at you with a masked expression,"I don't want to be friends with you anymore," he breaths. His chest heaves like it hurts him to speak.

Although, you don't notice because you're just processing what he said. "What?" You ask, but that's not the question you want to ask. Why? What changed your mind? Was it something I did? Your eyes widen, flashing with shock and hurt.

Bennett looks away again, your pain causing his own, so he abruptly stands and makes his way to the door. With his back turned to you, he adds, "I'll pay for anything you need, but once you're healed you'll go home and have nothing to do with me. Okay?" He shudders as he remembers the hurt expression on your face and opens the door.

At the movement, you snap out of your shock and push the covers away from you as you reach out to Bennett. "Bennett, wait!" You cry out, your sore body falling over the side of the bed. You grunt in pain, but look up at the doorway.

Bennett is already gone, leaving you hurt and confused. Without an explanation no less.

Almost a month later, Bennett still hasn't talked to you since the incident.