Kitchen Catastrophes

In which Bennett reluctantly allows the Musketeers assist him in the kitchen...and it doesn't end well.

Bennett cared deeply for his friends, he really did.

The Musketeers stood around the kitchen of the base. Bennett stood at one side of the counter while the other three stood at the other. He stared blankly at them while Declan, Jordan, and Naomi averted their eyes, staring anywhere but him.

But this was ridiculous.

Ruined mixing bowls, utensils, and ingredients were strewn across the counter as if they had been thrown around by a tornado. Bennett wore his infamous poker face.

He spoke to Declan, "All you had to do was stir."

"He's mad," Declan stated, looking away.

"Whether I'm mad or not has nothing to do with this."

It was early in the afternoon at the base, and Bennett was tired already. He had another confrontation with his father earlier that morning, and it took energy out of him. He was about to prepare lunch, but the rest of the Musketeers insisted on doing it for him, noticing his fatigue state. Reluctantly, he agreed as long as he supervised them.

It was a good thing he did.

"Wait, wait, Jordan," Jordan ripped open a bag, "Did you even read the label? That's sugar, not salt!" Bennett said, grabbing the bag of white sugar from Jordan before he could pour it into the bowl.

"Yeah," Declan agreed with Bennett knowingly. He popped open a different container. "You're supposed to add this."

Bennett quickly snatched it out of his hands before Declan could pour the contents in the bowl. "Declan, stop! We don't put that in yet. Did you even read the recipe?" He gestured to the messy counter incredulously. "How did you even make such a huge mess? All I asked you guys to do was stir."

"What do you mean?" Naomi asked casually as she stirred another bowl. Its contents were splashing and flying everywhere.

"Naomi, look down for God's sake," Bennett sighed.

"Hey, Bennett," Jordan called, lifting up a small bag curiously. "It's labeled salt, but is it really salt?"

"If it says salt, it's probably salt," Bennett replied as he glowered at him. He rubbed his temples. "Okay, Jordan, that's enough. Just...cut the vegetables. There's no way you could mess that up."

Jordan stuttered, "C-cutting the...me?"

A moment later, Jordan stood in front of the chopping board with a potato on it, a knife in his raised hand. He brought it down on the poor potato with a bam!

"You didn't peel it," Bennett croaked. In his mind, he was smashing his own face against a wall. "Why weren't you using your other hand? And how could you forget to peel the skin? It's common sense."

"Oops! Sorry, wasn't thinking," Jordan chuckled.

Bennett realized he left the other two alone and quickly turned to Declan. His eyes widened with panic behind his black bangs. He almost shrieked as he yelled to him, "Declan, why are you holding it like that!?"

He found him holding a large cutting knife in a...what he would call a murderer's hold. Declan wasn't angry, but he looked as if he was about to use the knife to stab someone, gripping the handle with both hands and the sharp blade at the bottom as he raised it ominously.

"You," Bennett grabbed the knife by the handle and held it away from Declan. "are banned from holding sharp objects. At least for now."

Declan frowned, "But I wanna cut the vegetables too..."

"I'm already mildly traumatized, so no." Bennett sighed as he set the knife aside and handed Declan another bowl. "Here, mix this slowly and carefully, okay? I'll add the ingredients as you go."

"Just stirring? Okay, I can do that." Declan took the bowl.

"Ow." This made Bennett flinch before he slowly turned towards Naomi.

She lifted her hand towards him, flashing a small cut on her finger. She smiled. "Better get a bandaid."

He wanted to faint. No, Bennett Frazier actually felt faint.

"No, you have to wash it first," he advised as he gently nudged her to the kitchen sink.

"Bennett?" Declan called from the other side of the kitchen, still stirring. He didn't notice that Bennett was focused on Naomi. "Hey, is this good enough? Hey! Bennett? I'm gonna put this stuff in, okay?" After he dumped another ingredient in the mixing bowl, he muttered to himself, "Huh? It's turning jello-y..."

Once Bennett was sure that Naomi was taken care of, he sighed with relief and turned back to Declan. "Hey, you done yet, Declan?"

"Hey, Bennett, is this good?" Declan held out the bowl.

Bennett narrowed his eyes at the bowl. "Why is it smoking?" The bowl was emitting some type of gas or smoke.

Jordan gagged and ran out of the kitchen. "My eyes! They burn!"

"Someone open a window!" Naomi yelled as she followed him.

Exasperated, Bennett pushed his hair back with his fingers.

To think, this would be one of many other meals they would be making together.

THANKS FOR WAITING FOR AN UPDATE! Sorry, I've been procrastinating on Beach, Babes, and Ball part 2. Thought a little Musketeer one shot might lift some spirits.

Hope you enjoyed! Please vote.