I watched in amazement at the pool side as a figure did a series of twists and turns along the length of the pool. To top it off too, this person had speed. They’d be a good recruit for team. I stood for a few moments completely dazzled until the person broke through the surface if the water. They floated atop the surface of the water for a few moments, their face turned away from me. It was then that I realized something.

       “How’d you get in here?” I called to them.

      The person lost all concentration and fell through the water towards the bottom of the pool. I was beginning to panic for a moment until the person – who I belatedly noticed was female – resurfaced and pulled off the goggles. My heart stopped for a moment as icy orange brown-eyes met mine.

      Avery didn’t speak as she swiftly swam towards my side of the pool. I watched as she climbed out of the pool and pulled off the swim cap that encompassed her dark hair. She measured me with her eyes while she squeezed water from her hair. The large droplets ran across the plane of her hands.

      I swallowed audibly. “How’d you get in here?”

     Avery stared at me for a few minutes more before responding. “I’m a vampire,” she said softly, mirroring the protagonist in the series I was watching this morning.

      My mouth fell open a slight bit at her seriousness, she wasn’t even smiling. I didn’t believe in mystical creatures and things like that but I couldn’t figure anything out about this girl. Before I could get defensive, she started laughing uproariously.

      “You should’ve seen your face,” she said gasping for air.

       My brows pulled together as I watched her face lighten up with laughter. She looked way better smiling than frowning and that’s saying a lot. I looked at her expectantly urging her to honestly answer my question.

      “I’m not going to tell you,” she continued, a ghost of a smile playing on her lips.

       Her whole demeanor had me acting on edge, I was waiting on her to freeze me out, and I couldn’t forget how embarrassed I was yesterday when she made that powerful innuendo. My feet decided to defy my brain and moved closer to her, she surprised me with the vulnerable look in her eyes. My hands joined the rebellious act my feet were in and my fingers pushed a wet lock of hair out of her face. My own boldness surprised me.

       Avery’s eyes didn’t leave mine throughout the entire exchange and for some reason I didn’t want her to. She broke me out of my trance by looking down. “You have a girlfriend,” she whispered.

       I pulled my hand away from her reluctantly and ran it through my hair. I knew I had a girlfriend but at that moment I couldn’t think about Gina and that made me feel a whole lot worse than I was feeling yesterday.

      Avery chuckled. “Don’t look so disappointed. There are tons of other girls who are dying just to get your attention.”

      “Why are you so hyped up on the fact that I’m a player? I’m not,” I said, already defensive.

      Avery averted her gaze from me. “I’ve dealt with people like you. Have you wondered what might’ve happened if I hadn’t spoken up when I did?”

      My heart thumped guilty and I swallowed nervously. “Nothing would’ve happened,” I replied, very unconvincing.

      Avery narrowed her eyes at me and placed her hands on her waist. “Listen, you may talk to the other girls and make them swoon but that crap doesn’t work on me.”