"Bring her stuff to my place later tonight" Michael said hiding every hint of guilt from his voice.

Marissa couldn't look at him and her eyes were trained on Lauren who looked at her confused and scared.

"She's highly allergic to peppermint and peanuts the latter is lethal for her" Marissa warned before grabbing her purse and signing all the paperwork that would allow Michael to be the primary caretaker.

As soon as all that was done, officers from The Department of Children and Families explained everything to Lauren in language she could understand.

"But I want my mommy" Lauren cried.
"Mommy will see you everyday" One of the officers assured Lauren.

Once Lauren finally agreed, she gave Marissa one last hug before grabbing Michael's hand and looking up at him.

At her touch, electricity ran through Michael's entire body. His little girl caused sparks to fly in a non-romantic way. Michael realized he was feeling something he had been lacking since Marissa left him; happiness.

"I hope your happy" Marissa told Michael looking at him dead in the eyes.

Michael gulped and watched as Marissa bent to kiss her daughter. He was truly saddened by what he had just done but yet he felt no regret.

"Mommy will see you later" Marissa assured her.

Lauren nodded and Marissa knew Lauren would cry as soon as she left.

Sure enough, as soon as Lauren could no longer see her mother she cried out for her.

"Mommy! Mommy!" She screamed. "Mommy come back!!"

Michael had no idea what to do. He never cared for a child and was completely clueless on how to handle the situation.

"Mommy, don't leave me!!" Lauren continued screaming.

Her face was now redder than a tomato and completely wet from tears.

"Mommy will be back, she's getting ice cream" Michael lied.

At that, Lauren stopped her tantrum and wiped the tears from her eyes.

"Ice cream?" She asked sweetly.
"Mhmm" Michael nodded and smiled at the beautiful little girl below him.
--
It took Marissa longer than it should of to pack Lauren's things. Every photo she would find would make her cry hysterically.

Her little girl was taken from her and she never knew of this type of saddness. Her divorce was one thing but this was so much worse.

At exactly nine, Marissa knocked on Michael's hotel room door and he welcomed her inside.

"Where is she?" Marissa asked frantically looking around for any sign of her child

"Ssh, she's sleeping" Michael assured her and walked into what was now Lauren's room.