26

PRESENT

PRESENT

"I can't believe you really confronted Bryce about it all alone," I mumbled, cleaning his cuts up.

Clay winced every time, "I had to do it, Belle. I needed to hear him say it."

"Did you? Hear him say it?"

I stopped only for a moment to look at Clay who smiled, "I did."

Sighing, I nodded, "Well that's great but-" I stopped seeing the look on his face, "You didn't."

"I did," he mumbled, reaching over to pull the recorder out of his bag, "I think I just made tape number 14."

"Holy shit, I love you!"

At that moment I didn't care if Clay was in pain, I hugged him, so tight and I almost felt like crying.

"Hannah's gonna get the justice she deserves, thank you."

Clay only nodded, holding the tape between us.

He really managed to get a confession.

And as great as that was, god only knew where that would take us next.

Would we all finally be able to relax?

Would we be able to release Hannah's tapes and have mom and dad win the case as well as hopefully get Bryce in jail?

So many scenarios popped into my head but I just couldn't see one where everything would be fully okay again.

Especially not after the tapes actually got out and everyone listened to what Hannah had to say.

Then there was mom and dad and they played a huge factor in this.

Clay knew this too, taking a deep breath as I finished cleaning up his cuts.

"How's it been going with your parents?"

"It hasn't," I scoffed, "I feel like I lost them completely- my mom more than anything."

"I'm sorry," Clay mumbled, but I shook my head, faking a smile.

"Don't be. You didn't do anything."

"Still. I- you can stay with me if you want."

Sighing, I shook my head, "It's fine. They're going to be busy with the depositions anyway. I'm just going to stay home."

"If you're sure..."