C H A P T E R 24

Chapter 24: Powerless

══════

   Everyone gathered in Coulson's office to watch Daisy ask Charles's wife questions. I slowly stood out of the wheelchair and groaned. Fitz saw what I was trying to accomplish and he quickly grabbed my arm to help ease me onto the couch.

   "Thank you, Leo," I mumbled and he gave me a quick smile.

   When I finally got into a position that didn't hurt my side, May had walked into the room.

   "And this is?" She questioned, her eyes glued to the screen.

   "Charles Hinton's wife. He was a teacher— well-liked by all. But he walked out on her and their 18- month-old daughter in July."

   I turned my head to look at Phil, "Walked out? why?"

   Before he could answer the audio from the interrogation room filled the spacious office.

...It drove him crazy...

   The woman, Polly, mumbled. Daisy leaned forward in her chair and asked when it all started.

...It was a Sunday. We'd just gotten home from the farmers market, and it started to pour. Charles ran out to the yard, to bring our daughter's toys inside. And I hear him howl as he hurt himself...

   Polly's head hung low as she spoke. I could feel her uneasiness— her pain. Talking about Charles was like pouring salt into an open wound. Loss and grief I determined.

...I ran out and found him on the ground covered with some kind of crust...

   She took in a deep breath and my shoulders tensed.

... I took his hand and we saw flashes. Random events, ending with a horrific car crash...

   Daisy tilted her head and spoke softly.

...He sees it too?...

   She lightly nodded her head 'yes.

...We just sat there, shocked. But then, leading him inside, it happened again. We saw-- my mother in a hospital bed. code blue...

   Charles' wife lifted her head and I watched as her eyes met Daisy's. Sympathy oozed from Daisy as she opened her mouth to speak.

...So you had to stop physical contact...

   As they spoke I shifted my hands into my lap. It felt like my limbs were weighted down by lead, my heart heavy with emotion. Fitz looked at me with concerned eyes and I told him I was fine.

...We thought we were going crazy. But it would happen anytime Charles touched anyone...

...He and that person would both see someone's death...

   When those words left Polly's mouth the atmosphere in the room grew thick. Daisy asked what she meant by death. Polly told her that it was enough to make her husband go mad.

...Then it got so much worse a few days later when...

   Before she could finish her sentence Daisy cut in.

...The visions started coming true...

   Polly lightly nodded her head again. Daisy sucked her lips into a thin line.