“Get out of my way,” Tyler ordered, though his heart beat a mile a minute.

            “I don’t think so,” Austin repeated. Then he grabbed Tyler and shoved him into the locker bank.

            Tyler thrashed against his hold. “Get your hands off me!”

            “Grab his arms,” Austin said, and his buddies obeyed his orders without question.

            “Let me go!” Tyler shouted as loud as he could, but no one came to his aid.

            “In a minute. First, I’m gonna teach you a lesson.”

            Teach me a lesson? Are you kidding?

            That was the corniest thing he’d ever heard. It sounded like something some stupid redneck character in a B movie would say. ‘We’re gonna teach this faggot a lesson, ain’t we boys?’

            Austin slammed Tyler into the lockers once again. “If you ever say anything again about you and me being gay together, I’ll kill you.” 

            Austin’s knee came full force into his groin. It didn’t hurt yet. That would come in a minute, and the wait made his stomach do flip-flops. Austin and his buddies suddenly let go of him, and he dropped to the floor.

            “See you later, faggot,” Austin sneered and then spit on him as he passed by.

            After a few more seconds passed, the wall of pain hit him. I’m going to puke, Tyler thought as he lay there groaning.

            Either he was going to puke or pass out. He wasn’t quite sure which. Over the years, he’d taken a few groin shots, but nothing like a knee square in his junk. The concrete floor was cold under his back, but it felt good. It reminded him the pain would pass. All he had to do was ride it out. It took just a few minutes for the worst of it to be over. When he was sure his legs would be strong underneath him, Tyler pulled himself to his feet.

            “God damn it!” Tyler shouted, and the words echoed around the room. “I’m sick of this shit!”

            So, do something about it.

            The words in his head were his, but the voice was this twisted version of who he really was. It was right though. It was time to do something about this. Maybe instead of fucking back he needed to fight back. Without him having to think about it, his body drove him forward. His fists were clenched as tight as his teeth, and his eyes were on one thing as he marched.

            “Davidson, you’re late!” Coach Porter barked. “Hit the track!”

            Instead of hitting the track, Tyler flung himself at Austin. The surprise attack wobbled him. Though he stumbled, he didn’t fall. It didn’t matter though. Tyler kept moving forward.