{My Girls, Forever}

"Oh when I think of my long-suffering race,
For weary centuries, despised, oppressed
Enslaved and lynched, denied a human place
In the great life line of the Christian West;
And in the Black Land disinherited,
Robbed in the ancient country of its birth,
My hearts grow sick with hate, becomes as lead
For this my race that has no home on earth
Then from the dark depth of my soul I cry
To the avenging angel to consume
The white man's world of wonders utterly:
Let it be swallowed up in earth's vast womb,
Or upward roll as sacrificial smoke
To liberate my people from its yoke!"

Enslaved
~Claude McKay

Enslaved~Claude McKay

---

"Mylene just-just try again, his old dope-head ass can't ignore you forever."

"Mani's right, call his old ass again." Regina backs.

We were gathered around Mylene who sat at the phone contemplating whether to call Jackie again. Turns out while I slept, she had spent most of the night trying to reach him without any luck.

"You're right, I mean what's the harm of another call?"

"Exactly, just call him again."

She lets out a deep breath before picking up the phone and putting in the numbers. There is a pin drop silence as we wait for him to pick up the phone. She glances at us nervously as we wait to hear if he picks up there is a pause before Mylene finally exclaiming into the phone.

"Hello, Jackie?" She asks. "Is this Jackie?"

"Tell his ass he better have your song." Regina mumbles to her. She shushes us as she waits for him to answer. There is a small mumble from the other side before she speaks again.

"Hi! Hey, who's Dave?" She looks at us in confusion. He speaks again on the other side as I push myself closer to try and hear.

"Okay, um Jackie, you know my Tio he's been asking when the song is gonna be ready and um, I've been lying to him, but I think he's getting suspicious." She explains looking at us as we nod to encourage her on.

"Tell him it's finished, it's finished, I'm finishing it, finishing touches."

I manage to hear from him, as I move to sit up from my position across the bed.

"Jackie, you alright?" She asks. He sounded high right now, and not the weed high, cocaine. I grimace at them as they start to kinda figure it out too. There is suddenly a giant crash from the phone as Mylene speaks again.

"You know maybe I should come down there and help out."

"Ow, fuck!" He screams from the other side. I glance cautiously at Mylene.