Chapter 6

A

N

U

B

I

S

The experience was very strange, to say the least. I was sitting in the back of an... what were they called? Automobiles? Right! Automobiles. What long name for something like this, I wonder if humans have a shorter name for these contraptions. I hope so. Automobile was a mouthful. Anyway, I was sitting in the back of an automobile, and Sadie was next to mind immediately went insane and I felt very flustered. I never get flustered. My heart (which long ago went cold to fit my mood) started beating erratically. I jumped in surprise. My heart had never beat that fast before by just looking at someone; it only beat like that when I was running away from Horus because I "sassed" him (apparently I wasn't allowed to express my opinion). I was so focused on my suddenly rapidly beating heart beat that I didn't notice Sadie was asleep. And her head was on my shoulder. What kind of dream is this? I thought happily. I looked down at her. She was as beautiful as I remembered. We stayed in that position for a few several minutes, which I was quite content with. I suddenly felt something warm in my cheek; I gasped. She had just kissed me!

Calm down, calm down, calm down, I chanted in my head. I tried to calm down, but I didn't exactly do it right.

"You look flustered, death boy." I could hear the smile in her voice.

"I—I do?" I was not supposed to sound nervous.

"Yes. In fact, maybe I should stop calling you death boy and start calling you normal teenage boy."

"I'm not a 'normal teenage boy'!" I cried indignantly. "I'm a great, mighty, all powerful god of Egypt!"

"Whatever you want Annie, whatever you want."

I was about to say that she shouldn't call me that when I felt something warm and wet meet my lips. It took me a while to recognize what it was, and then... I am being kissed by Sadie Kane was the only thought running around in my head.

She broke apart and looked at me mischievously.

I was shocked, to say the very least. And pleasantly surprised as well. I was about to bend down to kiss her back when, suddenly, she turned in to a monster. Sadie's teeth turned to large fangs, her nails to yellow claws, and out of her hair grew long twisted horns; her body grew emaciated and slimy. Her (it or whatever you wish to call it) glowing red eyes stared hungrily at me. She lunged at me, her large fangs centimeters from my chest...

and I woke up.

I was gasping and sweating.

What in the name of Ra was that!? I have heard of a lot of humans having these types of dreams; they wake up terrified and afraid of everything, sometimes they even scream. Nightmares, they call. But I never thought I would have one of those, after all I am a god. Maybe being a god wasn't enough to escape dreams and nightmares.

Well... this experience has guaranteed that I never sleep again, I thought gloomily.

Maybe it was just me, but all my happy experiences seem to end in tragedy. Like my birth.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I almost forgot about that book! Maybe it can help me calm down and not think about the fact that my kiss with Sadie wasn't a real life event.

The book was still in my lap, miraculously. I opened the book, and I started reading.

'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.

Three hours later and I had finished the Perks of Being a Wallflower. It was simply... wow. It was very good. I couldn't believe that I hadn't read it before I went to sleep. Maybe I would've dreamed a different thing. Oh well, you can't change the past (unless you gamble with Khonsu, but I don't want to loose my ren). Maybe I should go to thought and see if he has similar books like this one... or maybe not. Thoth was still very annoying.

I sighed. Now what do I do?

I've spent the last thousand years(I think since time in the Land of the Dead is different than in the mortal world) with nothing to do but try to help the souls (emphasis on the try). As you can imagine, I was bored out of my mind most of the time. Now that I didn't have anything to do again, I felt like going into a deep sleep just like Ammit (AN. Is that how you spell it?). But I wasn't about to risk having a nightmare again. I sighed with frustration. How is it that I could watch a person's heart get eaten by Ammit without flinching, but I couldn't withstand a simple nightmare.

I'm clearly nothing like my father. But since that's a good thing, I'm not going to complain.

Now what do I do? Perhaps I should go to the mortal world for once, and see what kinds of food I could eat. Yes, I should go there. To New Orleans, that is. I missed that city. Maybe if I go there, I'll forget about the nightmare and the fact that my life is incredibly dull.

So with that decided, I went over to Ammit and patted his head as a fare well until we meet again gesture, then I made a portal to take me to New Orleans and I stepped through.