Chapter 2

A
N
U
B
I
S
I was just in the Hall of Judgment, minding my own business, when Bast called me a dog. (Outrageous! I'm a jackal for Ra's sake!) I tackled her, saw the humans she brought, hated the boy, and adored the girl. Go ahead, call me a hypocrite for hating the first human. But hey he was hosting Horus! And you have never seen the girl before. She was absolutely gorgeous! I wasstill dazzled by her. So naturally when I turned to my human form I said something dumb.
"I'm not a dog", I grumbled. What! Anubis! You have to do better than that!, my mind screamed at me. Like what? i am Anubis, the great god of funerals!?, I argued back.
Well, Yes! you have to impress the girl, my head screamed, again
Shut up, I told it. Great! I'm arguing with my own mind! What's next? Insanity? Something is wrong with me...
"No", the girl said. "You're..."
"You're Anubis?", Horus's host rudely interrupted. Hmm... he must be seeing me in my jackal headed form, otherwise he wouldn't have recognized me.
"We've come for the feather of truth."
WHAT! Is he trying to get himself killed? First Horus treats me like a nobody and now he expects me to give him the feather of truth just because he told me to? How big headed can you get? I just frowned. Then I locked my dull, brown eyes with the girl's beautiful sapphire ones. My anger melted into my shoes. Mostly. My head was hazy
"Your not dead," I said Ra I'm so stupid! Say something more interesting! I scolded myself.
"No", the girl said. "Though we're trying awfully hard." She was trying to commit suicide! I tried not to let the fear show in my face. And to hide it, which I was taught to do, and instead said, as firmly as, possible, "I don't deal with the living." Then I noticed the baboon and the boy. My hopes were crushed. This boy looked two years older than the girl and didn't look anything like her. He must be her husband. The girl was off limits to me. So to scare him I said,
"However, you travel with a baboon. That shows good taste. I won't kill you untill you had a chance to explain. Why did Bast bring you here?"
Of course, I wouldn't really kill them. Only if I had to.
"Actually, Thoth sent us." the boy said.
So that ibis head sent them here? Why?
The boy started to say his story, but the baboon cut in "Agh! Agh!" He told me.
Relief flooded me. So the boy wasn't really her husband, just her brother. His name is also Carter. The girl's name was Sadie. The name was pretty, but in no way matched the girl's beauty. I nodded at the baboon for sharing the information. But I already knew that Carter was hosting Horus. But the girl, Sadie she was Isis's host. Hmm, I must have been paying attention to Sadie way too much to not notice Isis's aura.
I Scowled at Carter, "So you're Horus. And you're..." I was dazzled by Sadie to continue. I just let my finger drift toward her.
"I'm-I'm-um-" she stammered. Carter looked at her as if she gone daft.
"I'm no Isis," she said. " I mean, Isis is milling about inside, but I'm not her. She's just...visiting." she spoke in a cute accent.
I tilted my head. "And the two of you intend to challenge Set?" My sorry excuse for a father I wanted to say, but I kept my mouth shut.
"That's the general idea," Carter said. "Will you help us?"
I glowered at him
"No," I said. "I'll show you why.'
With that, I turned into a jackal and went back the way I can from.
When I got back there I saw the empty throne and broken scales. I trotted to the steps of the throne and changed back to human form. I wanted to seem powerful to Sadie, so I said
"Welcome, to the last room you will ever see."
Well... at least Carter looked impressed. He looked around in awe.
"The Hall of Judgment." He said. Then he saw Ammit and frowned. " Is that Ammit?" What has he got against Ammit? I decided to defend him by saying,
"Ammit the Devourer, look upon him and tremble" Ammit yipped at the sound of his name.
"I always pictured him...bigger." Carter said Animal racist. I gave him a harsh look.
"Ammit only has to be big enough to eat the hearts of the wicked. Trust me he does his job well." Or...he did it well, anyway. I became depressed again. Up at the scales, the baboon grunted, I ignored him.
"Why are the scales broken?" Sadie asked.
I frowned, even more depressed," Ma'at is weakening. I've tried to fix them but..." I spread my hands uselessly, just like me. Sadie pointed to the mirage of my favorite graveyard. Was it possible...
"Is that why the, ah, graveyard is butting in?" Yes she's perceptive.
Carter looked at her strangely, "What graveyard?" Not perceptive.
"He can't see them, but Sadie- you're perceptive," I decided to bring her to the New Orleans graveyard."What do you hear?"
I willed the shadows to transport us to New Orleans.