Ascension Day

Clarke POV

Ascension Day.

Lexa has told me plenty about it – it's one of the most sacred days of the year, shared by the Commander and the Nightbloods. All delegates of each clan must be present for the proceedings. Since Lexa is primarily the Commander who built alliances with the twelve clans and created the Coalition in the first place, this is something that has happened only since she rose to power.

'We gather here on this Ascension Day to honor the Commanders that came before me,' she announces now, easily taking control of the room like always.

I'm watching her from the corner, separate from the rest of the delegates simply because I know to keep my distance. Lexa also prefers me to stand with her and Titus; I suppose, with all the issues my people pose, she now thinks of me as a sort of advisor. 

The Nightbloods, opposite me on the other side of the throne, each are dressed in black and holding candles. The redheaded boy - Aden, Lexa's favourite - seems to be enjoying the proceedings the most. It's only really occurred to me now how much the children love and respect her. To them, she's the greatest ruler that has ever lived. 

I'm thinking exactly the same. 

'Those who live on within me,' Lexa continues, turning to survey her initiates. 'As I will live on within one of you.'

She is rather captivating today, and I can hardly draw my eyes away from her face as she speaks. The moment breaks, however, when we hear shouting just outside the throne room.

All of us look up, angry at the interruption, as the doors swing open and we see who's speaking:

'The Flamekeeper promised we would be heard!' a man at the front exclaims in Trigedasleng. He's bearded and evidently injured, walking with the help of a knobbled stick.

Lexa turns instantly to her advisor, glaring at him accusingly. 'Titus, what is this?'

'Something you need to hear, Heda,' he replies.

Lexa, breathing out a sigh of irritation, turns to greet the Grounder man who has so rudely interrupted her Ascension Day ceremony. He kneels very slowly before her throne, struggling with great difficulty until his knees hit the ground. Behind him, another Grounder man shoves a bound prisoner – a girl – to the front.

Recognition makes my mouth turn dry. 'Octavia!' I gasp in astonishment.

We'd left her behind near Arkadia once Lexa had announced the ceasefire. She'd wanted to stay near Lincoln and assist Kane from the outside.

What the hell is she doing here?

The girl glowers up at me through her gag, panting heavily.

'Forgive me for intruding on this holy day, Commander,' the crippled Grounder says, continuing to speak in Trigedasleng. He rises to his feet. 'I am Semet of Trikru. And I come seeking justice.'

Lexa's scrutinizing him with narrowed eyes. 'Explain yourself,' she orders finally. 'Why do you hold Octavia of Skaikru prisoner?'

The man shakes his head. 'She's a prisoner of war, Commander – brought here to bear witness to the crimes of her people.'

I don't wait for Lexa's permission, simply striding down the steps to confront him. 'What crimes? What happened?'

'Skaikru attacked their village,' Titus explains flatly. 'Because their warriors were lost when your people massacred the army we had sent to protect you, their village was defenceless.'