Chpt 3- weight of the world on me

I felt horrible. I thought heaven was supposed to take away all pain! Mom and dad- Mom and dad. I was with them! That wasn't so hard! Where were they? "Mom? Dad?" I mumbled. Why did it hurt to talk? Oh well.

"I'm sorry Lexi, they're not here," A soft, nice, voice that gave me goose bumps said. That had to be the voice of an angel!

I smiled. Now I knew I was dead, "Then call them!" really it was funny, if they weren't here call them! What kind of angel were you if you didn't have powers?

The voice said again, "Lexi, you're not dead," My eyes flew open. What did he mean I wasn't dead!? I found myself, not a happy dead spirit, but a depressed alive body. Dang it! Before me was Mr.Carter looking at me with happiness and sadness. Was he happy I was alive! Did he save me? That bastard!

"D-did you save me?" I asked with tears spilling out of the corner of my eyes. I looked around, I was in a hospital! How could he?! I was going to be with my parents!

"...Yes," he answered sadly. But I could tell he wasn't sad about saving me, he was sad I didn't want to be saved. Too bad!

"Why?!" I yelled. "Why didn't you just let me die?! I want to die!"

"I had to save you... I couldn't just leave you there! If I had I might as well stabbed a knife in your heart!" He said angrily, I saw his eyes shine. Was he about to cry?

"Let me say this loud and clear so you understand. I. DON'T. WANT. TO. BE. SAVED!" I said the words clearly.

"Can we please have a moment?" Mr.Carter asked the doctor.

"Yes," He said nodding his head. As soon as he walked out of the room, Mr. Carter sat down on my bed.

"Lexi, look at me," he said softly. Uh how about no? I ignored him and stared out the window. He grew impatient. "Look at me!" I didn't move. No way was I going to give in.

He reached out and took my chin softly in his hand to force me to look at him. As soon as his skin touched mine, I felt a spark. My breath caught. I looked at his blue eyes, they were amazing. He looked shocked too, did he feel it? He took his hand away, which was now shaking. Did he, did he feel the same way about me that I felt about him? His eyes held me prisoner, I couldn't look away. No, no this isn't right! He's my teacher! And he didn't let me die! No way was I going to fall as prey to him. I jerked my gaze away from his.

"What do you want Mr. Carter?" I asked harshly not looking at him.

"When we're not in school you can call me, Will," He whispered hopefully.

"No offence, Mr. Carter, but I don't want to!" I sighed angrily. I was his student! He should be the responsible one here!

 "Lexi, I'm sorry you lost your parents, but don't act like you're the only one. Lots of people have lost their families. But none of them tried to kill them selves because it was too hard. Stop being a brat and get over it! I lost my mother when I was five! I lost my father when I was thirteen because he committed suicide! You're not the only one! I don't have any family! You have an aunt that loves you! Don't waste your life over something like this!" His voice started at a whisper and now he was almost yelling at me. I felt tears in my eyes, how could I just skip over this? I was shocked, I had never heard him yell. I just stared at him wide-eyed in shock. A tear strolled down my cheek.

His eyes softened, "Lexi, I didn't mean to-"

"Just go!" I interrupted not wanting to hear his excuses.

"But-"

"Did you hear me? I said, go! Now leave!" I cried, another tear rolled down my face. I turned on my side so I didn't have to look at him.

"What do you want me to tell Celeste?" He asked quietly.

"Celeste can go- Wait. Celeste Martinez?" I asked. How could he know Celeste? Oh my God, did she know? Shit! I didn't think this through. I wiped the tears off my face and turned to him. He nodded. So she did know about what I tried to do. "Tell her... That I'm alive and okay. I'm fine. Mr.Carter? Thank you, for taking care of her when I couldn't. Didn't."

"Lexi, you were depressed. I understand. The only reason you're sitting up and talking, is 'cause they gave you an anti-depressant pill. It's gonna take some time," Mr. Carter said softly, once more. He reached out and cupped my faced in one of his hands. I held my breath and froze. What was he doing? He began stroking my cheek with his thumb, I needed that. I felt safe when he did that. I hadn't felt safe the last couple of hours. His face came up, right next to mine, and for a second I thought he was going to kiss me. No, he moved his head towards my ear, he whispered, "Go to sleep. You can be depressed in the morning. Not now, not when I'm here. And please, when we're out of school call me, Will. Mr. Carter just sounds too old! Come on now, sleep."

I lied my head down, what just happened? "Good night, Will," I whispered with a smile. I closed my eyes and fell asleep. I think I might be falling for my teacher. Great. Now I'm a depressed suicidal teen in love with her teacher. That's high school for you.

I woke up in a meadow covered in flowers. Okay this had to be a dream, I had only been here once, and that was when I was five. My parents had brought me here on the last day of summer, just before my first school- panic attack. I sat up and looked around, I loved this place.

"Lex, we're over here!" I heard my dad yell.

"Daddy! Where are you?" I asked looking around. I saw him sitting on a bench next to mom. "Mommy!" I yelled joyfully.

"Lexi, there's a lot we didn't get to tell you. It's about what we do honey," My mom said as soon as I pulled back from the hug.

"What about it?" I asked cocking my head to the side. What was the problem with being a banker and a hair stylist?

"We are- I mean were, assassins," My dad said.

"What do you mean?" I asked with a smile on my face, they had to be joking. There was no way that they could be assassins.

My mother took a deep breath and looked at my father before saying, "We didn't die in an accident. The stolen car, was a set up. To kill us,"  They just looked at me letting me take it in. My parents didn't die in a freak accident. They were murdered. Oh my God. How did I not know this? Once when a guy tried to steal mom's purse she kicked him in the head and knocked him out on the first try. And the dude had to be at least six foot. When I finally thought I had it under control she added,"We stopped when you were born. But on our last mission... They guy we killed had a brother. And he had just walked in when I pulled the trigger. He was as much a monster as his brother and swore he would hurt us the same way we hurt him. He would kill us and our family."

"So does that mean-?" I started wide-eyed.

"He's going to come after you and Aunt Grace. Yes," She said grimly.

"But-" Dad interrupted.

"Lex, if this man gets Aunt Grace, You can't kill your self. Understand?" He said all business. I opened my mouth to argue but he said, "No buts. William cares about you. He'll keep you safe from that man. Remember Lexi, we don't want to see you here anytime soon. We love you." They said the last part in unison. They faded away.

"No! Mom! Dad!" I yelled running around the medow looking for them. My heart sped up, to fast, my heart was beating to fast! My heart exploded from my chest and I fell back to the floor. I breathed in short rapid breaths. Until I couldn't breath. The medow faded and became a black waste land with dead flowers every where. Will was there, crying over a grave. My grave!

"Why Lexi? Why did you do it again?" He asked facing me. His face got thinner and thinner until he was only a skelliton. He reached out for me, his fingers as sharp as knives. I screamed running to get away from him. 

Then I was falling, falling into a dark never ending hole. "Lexi! Lexi wake up!" A voice yelled.

******

I was jerked from my night mare, now staring into sky blue eyes. "Will!" I sighed, leaning into him. His arms wrapped around me, holding me close. My face was wet from tears, I knew, sometime this week Aunt Grace would die. And I would be next.