Alice and Jill heeded her request and left the room. Lucinda looked out the window and I could see her reflection in the glass against the black sky. She seemed worried and scared from the way she lifted her hand to her mouth and held herself.

"Lucinda...is something wrong?" I asked.

"In all my years I have known Scott...I just cannot believe...the way he acted...I have never seen him that way in battle before."

"What way?"

"Scott is a marvelous fighter and he has many dragons, but he never gone so far as to bring Shade into a fight."

"Shade?" I asked. The black book with the same title I had seen in the Dragon King's study came back to my mind.

"Shade is one of his most powerful dragons."

"I saw no dragon last night."

"Shade is as black as the night sky and is very hard to see against the dark sky. I have no doubt that you observed his power last night on the pirate ship."

"The green fire?" I suddenly remembered the green flash of light I had seen before being knocked unconscious. "That was Shade?"

"Yes. Just one fireball of his breath is powerful enough to destroy a tower. I have only seen that kind of anger from Scott once and that is when he is arguing with Alec about his...purchases."

"What are you saying?" I asked.

"I am saying that something about you brought out a darkness inside Scott that would send the Devil himself crawling back to Hell. Be careful when you are around him."

She left the room for me to ponder my thought. I started eating my food, but Shifter began to make loud noises and begged me for food. Taking pity on him, I gave him a piece of meat to eat. I decided to cut up a few small pieces of meat for him because I knew he would want more.

As I ate, I gathered my thoughts. The Dragon King was the one to save me and he was with me when I awoke. Why? I was half expecting the prince to be at my side, considering that he owned me but... I just didn't understand. Was the Dragon King...No, he wouldn't. He couldn't. He is a prince and I am a slave. Surely the Dragon King could not be...could he?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Ignis Draconis Castle

Dungeons

Prince Alec Leonem III

"And what where you planning on doing with my slave?" I asked the pirate captain.

He was inside a cold dark cell in the dungeons. His hair was wet and tangled and his weapons were destroyed. He smirked at me, showing me his yellow teeth. Before he could answer, my brother walked in the room.

"What I want to know..." Scott said as he entered. "is how he and his men got inside the castle. Tell us how!"

The captain just laughed. "You cannot make a dead man talk." he said. Then sharply bit down on his jaw and he began gagging.

"Fuck! Open the cell!" Scott ordered.

The guards quickly opened the door and we both went in only to find that the captain had just died.

"What happened?" I asked Scott.

"Fake tooth filled with poison. A rather clever, but cowardly tactic for staying silent. Dammit, now we'll never know how his men got inside the castle." he answered.

Now that the interrogation was over, I knew where I wanted to go next. If Scott was here then Amber was awake. Unfortunately, Scott knew me all too well.