IV-Sparks

I slipped in and out of consciousness. I could not tell the difference between dreams and the reality that surrounded me. I thought I was being held by the Dragon King and heard the steady beat of wings pumping, but when my eyes opened, I was in my room. There was a small weight on my stomach. I sat up and saw Shifter laying on my stomach sound asleep.

"Shifter?" I asked out loud.

The small dragon opened his eyes and gave a chirp. He had a broken wing from the hit he took and there was a uniquely crafted splint on it. I reached out and touched the dragon. He suddenly gave a purring noise like a cat.

"He likes you." I heard the Dragon King's voice.

I turned over and he was standing to the left of me.

"I'm sorry, your majesty." I said looking away and pulling my hand away from Shifter.

"There is no need to apologize." he said, pulling a chair up to the bed and sat down. "Now, do you want to tell me why you were on that pirate ship?"

I was afraid to answer, but he needed the information. So I tried to tell my story.

"When we were ordered to go the the lower levels, Shifter jumped off of m shoulder and I chased after him."

"Wait, he jumped off you? Why he sitting on you in the first place?" he asked.

"When he appeared at the table and escaped the prince, he came to me. I did not want to say anything because I thought your brother would kill him or he would run to you once you came into the hall. After we left to hide, he jumped off and I went after him. That is when the pirates came into the castle, my lord."

"And what about his broken wing?"

"He was trying to attack them before they took me captive and pirate slapped him to the ground. That is how I got on that ship."

"He was protecting you?" He asked surprised.

"Yes, your majesty."

"Hmm. I have never seen a dragon take that kindly to someone that quick before."

"Do you want him back?"

"I wish it were that simple. Every time I have tried to take him from this room, he has growled at me. It seems that he has taking a liking to you. Stay with him as long as you want."

He left the room before Alice and Jill came in.

"Amber, how are you doing?" Jill asked.

"I'm all right." I told them. Shifter awoke, looking up and hissed at them threateningly.

They backed away in fear and looked at Shifter with confusion.

"Amber, what did you do to that dragon?" Alice asked.

"I do not know. He just came to me."

"On his own free will?"

"Yes." I noticed that it was still night outside."Are the pirates still here?"

"No, Amber, you been asleep for an entire day." Alice said.

"A day!? Oh-no!" I shot up from the bed and Shifter made a noise of discontent before repositioning himself on my lap. "The prince must be furious."

"Do not worry. The Dragon King told him not to disturb you until you woke."

"He did? " I asked, stroking Shifter's long scaly body.

Before they could answer Lucinda come in with a tray of food for me.

"Amber, thank the Heavens you are alive." she said, placing the tray on my lap. "Girls, can you leave? I need to speak to Amber for a moment."