Chapter 3/10 - "The Color of His Car"

"Blue"

Chapter Three

'The Color of His Car'

Joe was a nervous wreck. He could feel the peppery prickling of what he knew would be sweat beads beginning to form on his back, sending chilling shivers down his spine. He battled with himself in his mind, trying desperately to fight his body's natural response to such an important, yet nerve-wracking occasion. Gritting his teeth through it all, he held on to his smile as he led Demi to his deep sapphire Jeep Wrangler.

Joe, being the prospective doctor that he was, had multiple vehicles that held his name. Demi had never been persuaded by his material things, but Joe did notice that on the various occasions he would drive this particular vehicle, her eyes always lit up the slightest bit.

Of course he chose it for his first date with her.

"Ocean," Demi said, sliding her palm across the car's body as they walked toward the passenger door. Ocean was what Demi had unofficially named the Jeep, and Joe had always just went with it.

"That's her," he grinned, opening Demi's door for her. As he shut it, he managed to formulate a string of words without his voice cracking. "You've never ridden in her, have you?"

Demi tilted her head out of the open window at Joe.

"There's a first time for everything, right?"

As Joe moved around to the driver's side of his car, he couldn't help but wonder if Demi was referring to just riding in the car, or finally agreeing to a date with him.

Demi was still admiring the car's interior as Joe slid into the driver's seat. He kept his eyes on her as he went to crank up the vehicle, sending the car trembling with vibration and making a sound holier than holy water itself. Demi's reaction was priceless; her skin raced, her eyebrows jumped up, her eyes rolled back the slightest bit, and Joe smirked to himself.

Then, turning his eyes onto the road in front of them, Joe brought his right hand down to the gear shift, and began to manually change gears as the car increased in speed. This caught Demi's attention immediately.

"She's a stick shift?" Demi asked, a smile on her face. "I can't believe I never knew that."

Joe winked.

"Now you know."

Demi's mind was absolutely whirring, but of course, with her thick brush of pride, she wouldn't let him see that too quickly. No, Demi was set on making sure she was impressed. And she didn't know why, but she went with it.

And decided to push her limits.

Shoving her long lighting bolts of hair behind her back, Demi brought her shoulder up to her chin and peered over at him, batting those long eyelashes at Joe.

"So . . . when are you gonna let me drive her?" She tried, pushing that flirtation incredibly hard. Normally, she knew Joe would see right through this. But tonight, he was on a mission to impress her, and Demi was well aware.

So, to take full advantage of such a fragile situation, and to tack it on a little harder, she bit her lip.

And boy, did it work.

Joe cocked an eyebrow and chuckled.

"You want to drive her?"

"Are you offering, or just asking a question I've already answered?" Demi replied, slyly.

Joe suddenly stopped the car, put it in park, and threw up his hands.

"By all means."

Demi's eyes widened.