Chapter 36

Clary P.O.V

"Are you Alright?" I said softly to Jace. I lean my head against his shoulder and wrap my hand in his. His other hand is currently holding a letter that was sent to my father from Stephen, his biological father. He didn't speak at first, but he did turn his head around and placed a gentle kiss on my forehead.

"Yeah." He murmured against my forehead. The gesture sent a warm hum down to my spine. I close my eyes and treasured the moment. I know he's lying, but I decided not to pry him.

"Do you think it was a coincidence that Helen called you right before you were thinking about buying a jet?" He told me with an amused laugh. I smiled at him and threw my legs over and on his lap. He tense at first, but then relaxed. I giggled and shrugged my shoulders.

It was about midnight when a panicked Helen called me telling me nothing new about my father's situation. It was like the Clave just plucked him off the streets and shoved him into a sack and shipped him to Idris with them, she described it.

I remember my stomach twisting into a knot of jealousy. How long had my father knew Helen? How my jokes have they shared ? How many 'happy birthdays' did they said to each other? I resisted the urge to shout at her how she wasn't Valentine's daughter, nor her father, but I gulped it down because that would've been rude.

I also remember how my annoyance washed away, as she said Valentine owned a private jet and that only Morgenstern's were allowed to use it; Valentine's own words. I smiled brightly and told her to give me a flight crew or whatever they were called, that consisted of, a pilot and a flight attendant, as soon as possible. Helen got them just in time I got there and saw the fascinating and astonishing black private jet.

Jace also tagged along, saying he won't leave my side. He was such a sweetheart towards me and sometimes it was startling seeing this side of him: caring, loving, so affectionate. I'm usually used to the arrogant, cocky, and egotistical Jace. I gave him a warm smile and reached up to him and caught his lips with mine, whispering an unspoken thank you to him. In that exact moment the gears shifted and were put into place, in my mind; I smiled against his lips now that I had made my decision.

Helen broke our kiss with her presence. I thanked her and made sure if she didn't want to come to Idris with us. She shook her head and reminded me of her banishment. I instantly felt guilty and, too avoid a silent awkwardness, I quickly said goodbye and scrambled up the steps and hopped into the jet, but before I did that I checked my small purse if the scorched letters were there.

So here we are, Jace and I, sitting on a white leathered couch and to our left side of the private jet there were about six arm chairs that were a similar design to the couch. I turn around to face the small square window, that was behind me. Seeing the white smudges of clouds just outside the window gave me an uneasy feeling, but I had to admit that seeing the dark starry night turn slowly into sunny day was breathtaking.

I took out the ransom note that was sitting comfortably inside of my purse. There were other scorched notes among the one I took out. It took a while to scorch the rest of the blank papers, but with the help of Jace, we uncovered secrets from both of our families: The Morgenstern's and The Herondale's.

Turns out that my father bought a small shack for Stephen, Jace's father, just outside the border of France. The roughly built cabin was to avoid attention, as my father had written in invisible ink, but was now visible. I asked Jace if he remembered the shack; He told me he did, but it was filled with fuzzy memories. I squinted my eyes at him, clearly not believing him because I certainly remember half of my childhood. I don't know maybe its just me and my good memory.