Vingt Et Un (2)

"What do you want to do Regan?" Malcolm suddenly spoke up, breaking Regan's concentration.

"I don't know. I mean, is there actually anything I can do?" I asked softly.

"I was going to hire more security after the break in. I'll have Dimitri double it." Philip said nonchalantly.

"Will that be enough?" I asked him.

"Well, I can get some more guard dogs, add more alarms to the estate and if you want, I can hire a bodyguard for you." He added.

"Oh gosh, I'm going to feel like a prisoner." I replied.

"Well it's either that Regan, or you can stay with me on Granger Isle. I can protect you" Malcolm said.

Philip clenched his fist slightly, but kept quiet. I looked at both of them and felt an awkward silence fall over us. This was not ideal.

"I don't think we're there Malcolm, but thank you for offering. At the moment, I'm going to stay with Philip." I looked to Rachel, hoping that she would help me make the situation less awkward. She understood immediately, and broke the silence that had descended upon us.

"So, personal bodyguard? That's cool." Rachel said.

"That's only if you want, but honestly, I think that might be something for you to consider." Philip said once more.

"Aren't Dimitri and Sergei kind of like bodyguards?" I asked him.

"Well, they're guards, I don't know that they are body guards though." He replied unsure.

"Well, I trust them, if I have to have a bodyguard, I'd be happy with either of them." I replied. Philip looked at me pointedly, but nodded his head.

"Okay, I'll let them know."

"Thank you."

"Well, I guess that settles that then, have you had dinner yet?" Malcolm asked me.

"Do you want to eat? I can have Helga prepare something for you." Philip interrupted.

"Oh geez, not again." Rachel muttered under her breath as she rolled her eyes and sighed in exasperation.

I looked at her in momentary confusion but didn't say anything.

"Um, I guess I could eat something." I said hesitantly.

"Do you want to go somewhere? Or.." Malcolm began.

"She has to be in bed. She can't leave anywhere, she'll put the baby at risk." Philip interrupted him. I looked at them both then, and saw exactly why Rachel had rolled her eyes, the testosterone was unbelievable.

"Thank you, Malcolm, I'd love to go somewhere with you, but Philip is right, I've already been out of bed too long." As soon as the words came out of my mouth I felt myself begin to sway slightly. I tried to rise from the sofa and felt my equilibrium shift.

"Oh Regan, let me help you." Malcolm rushed to my side immediately, much to the annoyance of Philip.

"I can take it from here Malcolm, you can leave." Philip said too quickly as he moved to stand on my other side.

"Philip." I said to him evenly. He looked at me for a moment then sighed in resignation as Malcolm continued to help me to my room.

"I'll be up there soon hon." Rachel replied. She obviously could figure out that I wanted time alone with Malcolm, unlike Philip. Ugh men were dense sometimes.