Prologue

Author's Note:

Hello! 

If you are looking for the first story, it is published on Radish- rewritten, edited, polished etc. Your support would be humbly wonderful! 

Soon, When Two Hearts Meet will be removed from Wattpad on Saturday 23 September 2023, except for the first several chapters. Oriana's story is about to embark on some serious edits, please bear with. Our hero, Cole, starts off as a bit of a cad- I apologise for that. He does go on to redeem himself but the more problematic prose in his initial introduction to you, as the reader, will be changed quite drastically. 

Back when I first starting writing historical romances- over 10 years ago- my go to formula to follow was that of the likes of authors that flourished during this time, and before. So a lot of my older publications follow some characteristics of overbearing male leads, certain qualities that have not aged well and rightly so. 

Anyway, other than that, I do hope you enjoy, and please do not forget to vote, comment, or follow - any support is treasured by us writers :) 

~

Here's my second Brightmore installment :) New readers please note: you DO NOT have to have read the first book as the stories are completely seperate and can be read by themselves respectively. However, there is bound to be a few spoilers if you intend reading the first. Thanks to Yvonnejo for the fantastic cover (again) and to Haferness3 for the much-appreciated feedback and editing :) xxx

Prologue

1818

Extract from Oriana Harmony Brightmore's Journal

Oriana Harmony Brightmore's Inventory of Favourable Qualities One Should Expect in One's Husband

One: Although largely unimportant, my husband must be at least somewhat pleasing to the eye.

Two: He must be agreeable and openly engaging with me and others around him.

Three: He must love Shakespeare, Chaucer, and Wordsworth.

Four: His intelligence, candour and wit must be unquestionable yet refined with subtle humility.

Five: He must be well-groomed, always. I could not abide an odorous man. My brothers have cured me of any affectation for such a thing.

Six: He must always be conscientious. My husband should be willing and able to practise a healthy marriage by making concerted efforts to win my favours.

Seven: He must win my favours.

Eight: He should be reluctantly romantic. A superfluous and exaggerated braggart of romance would not suit me in the least. Rather, my husband should endeavour to woo me in seclusion with thoughtful gestures and melodious words.

Nine: He must be kind, especially towards small animals and children.

Ten: He must certainly, most definitely, not associate with women of a faster set than I, nor should he want to.