►Chapter 6 - The Monster (vol 16)

Numbness was all Grace felt

She lost Will, her bestest friend.

She lost Lucas, her other best friend who only had the best interest of her and the others as his top priority.

And now she had lost Eleven too.

It was all her fault.

The three friends cycled back to their respective houses in silence. None of them even uttered a goodbye to each other. They simply couldn't. Eleven was the only link back to Will and now she was gone because of a stupid argument.

As soon as Grace reached her room she cried. She cried long and hard. About Will, about Lucas, about Eleven.

She lay on her bed, looking up at the ceiling, letting her thoughts and emotions consume her with tears falling freely from her eyes like a waterfall. She didn't move until sometime later when she heard Delancey enter her room that was beside hers. Only, Delancey wasn't alone.

The faint murmur of a male's voice followed hers and Grace rose from her position, like a dog who had just heard an intruder. However, she was met with utter silence soon after, as she heard Lance enter the bathroom across from her. Her super comm buzzed, and all she heard was, "Gracey, are you still up? Over." It was Mike.

"I am. Over." She was monotonous, hiding the fact she had been crying for so long rather well.

"I want to talk to you about what I said today. Over." He seemed anxious to hear her response. Her tone of voice had concerned him as usually Grace hinted at certain emotions in her voice but in the moment she sounded like a robot.

"I don't want to talk Mike. I want to find Will. Over" She bluntly said, still completely void of showing any emotion. He was about to say something but was shortly interrupted by her voice emitting, finally sounding cold, "Listen Mike, I really don't want to do anything right now. I need time to myself. Goodbye, over."

She sunk back onto her bed and cried. She cried until she couldn't cry anymore. Grace hated making Mike upset but the day had been too much. Lucas had been seriously hurt, god, if he hadn't woken up after he was (accidentally) knocked out, she didn't know what she would've done. Falling asleep with tears flowing from her eyes, Grace's dad came into the room to check on her but found his clearly emotionally distraught daughter asleep. Giving a sympathetic look, he quietly shut the door and went to speak to Lizzy about his concerns.

"Good day at work, hun? I've just put Tabby to bed but she seems quite restless." She casually asked her husband as he kissed her on the cheek. Rich sighed, "Good. And I suppose. It's been very stressful though, there's been a bigger demand for higher ups. They've been declining all of my requests for a holiday, I'm just praying I get Christmas off." Lizzy nodded and pretended to understand what he was saying. It's not that she didn't understand, she had been working all day too and was desperate to go to bed. "I, uh, checked on Grace when I came in. I wanted to see how she was holding up with the whole Will thing." He admitted while sitting on the edge of the bed. Lizzy, who was taking off her earrings, turned around with a concerned look on her face. "I'm pretty sure she was crying Liz. Crying harder than I've ever seen her cry before." Rich looked strangely guilty, as if he blamed himself for his daughter's sadness. "I just wish I could've been there for her. I barely get to see her anymore because of work and she's dealing with this all by herself. Maybe I should talk to Delancey. See if she can get through to her." Lizzy shook her head.