○Volume 2 - That Morning

Startled by the noise of her alarm clock, Grace woke up and rubbed her eyes

Startled by the noise of her alarm clock, Grace woke up and rubbed her eyes. The sun was peaking in brightly from the curtains of her window. She sat up on her bed and reached for her dressing gown. When up, she continued to put on her slippers and go downstairs for breakfast.
Grace was always up early, she never liked when her mother had to call her down for her meal so she made it her duty to be at the table on time.

The pale girl could smell the scent of pancakes as soon as she started descending down the staircase. Her older sister Delancey was already up waiting, she had been up all night revising for a test despite having it the day after. Her mother sensed Grace coming down the stairs and turned around to greet her.

"Morning sleepyhead," she gave her signature side smile at her middle child. "Do ya mind waking up dad? Usually he's up much earlier but I let him have a sleep in because it's his day off." Grace complied with the request and raced upstairs to wake up her father. He was a very kind man, he married Lizzy for love, not for money or to show off a perfect housewife. Rich loved his kids more than anything but he was constantly at work and barely got to see them. His job was very stressful. Grace didn't know what he did exactly but she knew he put a lot of effort into it and worked very hard.

"Hey dad, mom wants you up for breakfast as soon as possible!" Grace entered the room and jumped on the bed.

Her dad opened his eyes up and smiled. "What's she making?" He questioned. "Pancakes."

"Hmmm." He faked laziness. "Why would I want pancakes if I could just stay in my bed all day and sleep?" Grace rolled her eyes at this and started pulling him off the bed. "Oh shut up, you know you love pancakes," she smirked as she attempted to get her parent to move.

"Maybe. But the tickle monster doesn't." Just after he said that he grabbed her and tickled her until she was on the floor, crying of laughter. "Dad- stop it!" She was laughing so much she could barely speak. She didn't notice that by the time she'd took to get a hold of herself, her dad had gotten up and ready to go.

"Last one downstairs is a rotten egg!" He shouted as the man challenged her to a race. 'God damnit.' Grace thought. She went after him and entered the kitchen by sliding in. "Oh will you two stop it and eat your breakfast," her mother laughed. Lizzy went upstairs to get the youngest sister -Tabitha or 'Tabby' for short.

Tabby was like any normal 5 year old girl, she loved dress up and dolls. But there was one thing  different about her.

Tabby was deaf.

She communicated through sign language which she knew amazingly well. The whole family knew sign language, so they could have normal conversations with her. She could also lip-read, so she could still join in the family conversations.

Tabby joined the table and sat beside Delancey. "Morning." Delancey signed, Tabby replied with the same.

The sisters had a great relationship between one another. They barely fought and when they did it was over trivial matters. "What test are you revising for?", Grace asked while grabbing a stack of pancakes. Her dad grabbed a bigger stack and stuck his tongue out at her, she giggled and rolled her eyes. "Mr Kraminsky's chemistry test. His tests are literally the hardest things ever, so I have to be on my absolute A game." Her elder sister replied, simultaneously chewing down on a pancake while flipping through a textbook. "Why can't you just study with Nancy or Barbara?" Her mother asked, kissing her father on the cheek after pouring coffee for him.