The Prince and The Pauper

Start from the beginning

He dropped my duffle bag on a lounge chair, that sat by the window. It had a perfect ledge, just for sitting and thinking. He continued to babble and started to unzip my bag. I rushed over and reached for the zipper...

"I-I-I ca-aann..."

Our hands touched, mine brushing against the small hairs on his knuckles. I quickly retracted my hand away, looking away from his face. He cleared his throat.

"Um......I guess, you'll wanna get situated yourself."

He scanned the room, running his fingers through his curls. Of course, his curls were more furious than mine.

"I'll be downstairs if you need me, okay?"

I didn't say anything. He noticed and walked out the room, leaving me to unpack.

I had already taken my shower and changed into my pajamas. They weren't anything too special, just an old t-shirt and basketball shorts. I didn't really bother much with my hair, only letting it do what it wanted. That usually meant it fell all down the sides of my face. I liked it that way.

My thoughts were interrupted, by the sound of my stomach's immaculate growl. I had managed to ignore it all day, but now it was ringing in my ears, mocking me.

I'm not eating.

I want to be beautiful.

And this is the only way I can be so.

"Mariah...?"

I turned my head back, seeing Mr. Perez in his pajama bottoms and a white shirt. His septum piercing was removed and his hair was pulled into a ponytail. There was a pair of black reading glasses resting on his nose. He was about to descend his stairs, but saw me come out my room and stopped. I rubbed my arm, nervously, trying to hide behind my hair.

"You okay?"

He slowly approached me, but I just backed away. I don't even know him, that well. Why is he all over me?

"I-I-I'm fiiii-ine....." I whispered. He sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. I looked at the ground, during this awkward time. He wouldn't stop looking at me, his eyes scanning me.

"Did you....did you want to come downstairs with me? I was about to get some ice cream."

He turned towards the stairs, and I lifted my head. I would have opposed and just locked myself in my "room", but my stomach spoke otherwise. Mr. Perez looked down at me, and cracked a smile.

"Come on, you sound hungry. I'll make you whatever you want."

He made his way down his stairs, and I hesitated.

Maybe he's nice....

I wouldn't take my chances. I know how you feel about eating, so just stay in your room.

"Mariah...?"

I looked over the balcony and saw the man looking up at me. I sighed, knowing he probably would begin asking me questions, why I'm not eating. I guess it couldn't hurt to see what the food was like.

I traced a few meters after him, taking light glides into the kitchen, which was completely modern, like the rest of the house. Marble countertops, stainless steel appliances, the whole nine yards. This entire house seemed like something out of a magazine.