Chapter 2: Hammerhead

Prompto had collapsed onto the scalding pavement road, his limbs widely spread as if making a snow angel. Filling the empty space beside his friend, the prince tiredly plopped onto the ground. Ignis, who had been attempting to repair the engine with The Sheild and Velox, now occupied the driver's seat. His arms were crossed over the wheel and his head rested on top of them. Gladio slowly paced beside the Regalia while Velox sat on its trunk.

"Just our luck, huh?" she said, swinging her legs back and forth.

Ignis' head raised in response before returning back to the wheel. "'Luck' isn't the word I'd use."

"Yeah, it takes talent to bust a car like the Regalia," the prince chimed.

The gunslinger groaned, "You guys are never gonna let me live this down, are you?"

Velox gazed down at her brother. She gave him an empathetic smile before lifting her head to look at the road. The blonde noticed a shiny object in the distance and squinted to see what it was. She adjusted her glasses and kept her eyes on the glint as she hit Gladio's chest.

"Incoming," Velox announced, hopping off of the trunk to stand in front of The Shield.

Gladio followed her stare and readied himself. As the car came nearer, he waved his arms in the air and the blonde jumped up and down, demanding its attention. The car drove past the retinue and continued on the endless stream of black pavement.

Gladio leaned against the Regalia. "I think we can forget about hitching our way there."

"Aren't folks outside the city supposed to be friendly?" the blonde frowned.

Ignis sighed, "You can only go so far on the kindness of strangers."

"So no luck with the engine?" Velox asked.

"None."

The Shield stretched his arms and rolled his shoulders back. "Just gonna have to push her all the way."

"I've already pushed myself... to the brink of death," Prompto professed theatrically.

Gladio and Velox moved to the back of the car where the boys slumped.

"Oh, get up," said The Shield, kicking the prince's boot. "C'mon, car isn't gonna move itself."

They bellyached loudly. Velox outstretched a hand to her brother, who gladly took it. She pulled Prompto to his feet and brushed some dust off of his vest before sending him to the front of the car.

"I thought the car was supposed to move us," the blond stated.

"Wouldn't that be nice," Noctis said, exasperated.

"Can it," Gladio barked. "Ready..."

Noctis and Prompto stood on opposite sides of the car. They grabbed the doors with one hand and held onto the frame of the windshield with the other.

Velox and Gladio remained at the back of the car and placed their hands on the trunk.

"Steady..."

The Sheild looked at Velox and nodded.

"Push!" they shouted in unison.