Chapter 1: Departure

The Argentums' movements were rigid. While Noctis, Gladio and Ignis glided comfortably through the halls, Prompto and Velox followed awkwardly. The blonde observed the back of the prince's head from her position.

She had known Noctis since childhood. He had been one of her closest friends since high school and despite all of this, neither she nor her brother had ever met Noctis' father. The idea of knowing someone for so long and having not met their parents or guardians seemed foreign. The more she thought about it, she realized Noctis hadn't met her parents either. Then again, that was a different circumstance entirely.

As mere citizens, entering the Citadel had been nothing but a farfetched daydream up until then. In all of their time knowing Noctis, the twins had only stepped foot inside the Citadel once, and that happened to be just the day before.

The building was ethereal and it appeared otherworldly. Velox's imagination could not capture the reality of its immense beauty. The rivers of black tile guiding them sparkled with specks of starlight and vines of gold climbing the walls commanded eyes to follow them towards the throne. Columned walls led visitors to a staircase that stood before the king's place. Waterfalls of gold flowed from the ceiling and engulfed the throne like a wave. Gold adorned the frames of two enormous windows, which were adjacent to the king's chair. They invited nature's warmth into the room and created a spotlight for the king.

King Regis gazed down at the company of five from his perch. "The decreed hour is come. Set forth with my blessing, Prince Noctis."

Noctis bowed. "Thank you, Your Majesty."

"Take your leave, and go in the grace of the gods."

The prince nodded, seemingly dispirited. "Right."

He swiftly spun on his heel. Gladio hurriedly shifted out of Noctis' way and watched his friend trudge towards the exit. The Shield quickly bowed before following the prince. Ignis and the twins mimicked his actions.

The group swung the large doors of the Citadel open and stepped into the sun's rays. They walked down the stairs to meet Cor, who stood on the sidewalk awaiting their return. The Regalia, King Regis' car, was parked behind him.

"Well, princes will be princes," Prompto joked.

"Got that right," Velox agreed.

Ignis sighed, "So much for royal protocol."

"Not like you had to deliver a formal address," Gladio said while stretching.

"Your highness!"

The quintet glanced over their shoulders to see King Regis and Drautos standing at the Citadel entrance. With Drautos' assistance, the king slowly descended the steps.

"What now?" said Noctis as he turned to his father.

"I fear I have left too much unsaid," the king announced as he arrived beside his son. "You place a great burden on those who would bear with you."

The prince snorted, scanning his father's cane and leg. "You're one to talk."

King Regis looked to the figures standing behind Noctis. "I ask not that you guide my wayward son, merely that you remain at his side."

Ignis bowed, "Indeed, Your Grace."

"We'll see the prince to Altissia, if it's the last thing we see," The Shield said, dipping his torso towards the ground.

"Yeah, what he said," Prompto stuttered while the twins imitated Gladio.

"He's in good hands," Velox insisted.

Silver Liningजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें