THIRTY SIX

CHAPTER 36 | A PROPOSAL

FREYA found herself thinking of her brother more often than not

FREYA found herself thinking of her brother more often than not. She worried for him, and her father and sister. Something was off. The tide was shifting; the winds howling. She wasn't sure if it was the oncoming winter that would last longer than they hoped, or simply something else. But the air spoke of words that she feared. Something was wrong, and she didn't know if she'd ever figure it out.

Robb began to come up with dozens of solutions to Freya's barrenness. He suggested medical results or taking her to a maester, along with other ideas. His answers scared Freya, and though she didn't exactly want Robb to have a Frey girl as a second wife, it was their only solution. Robb was King, and thus he needed an heir. If Freya couldn't give him that, what would they do? She'd be known as the Warrior Queen Who Bore None, or even a Virgin Queen.

Two boys of House Frey sat in front of her and company in the great hall of Riverrun. Robb clasped his hands on the table, ready to hear the sons' solutions. Freya hoped he was going to bring up the option of a second wife, since they had nothing else left. Black Walder and Lothar Frey sat with glum expressions.

"Thank you for riding here so quickly." Robb thanked. "I know travel isn't easy in these times."

Black Walder smirked. "The roads are crawling with cutthroats and bandits. But when the King of the North summons us, we come."

Lothar then continued his bastard brother's statement, "Our father has instructed us to tell you that his alliance with the North can continue if his terms are met."

Freya and Robb shared a look as she played with the earring in her lobe.

"Lord Frey requires a formal apology for your violation of your sacred oath to marry one of his daughters." Lothar said, his eyes on Freya.

Robb nodded. "Of course, he deserves as much. I was in the wrong."

"We never meant any harm to your father," Freya cut in, her laced hands now on the table. "As we are on this subject –"

Black Walder interrupted, "As restitution for this betrayal, he demands Harrenhal and all its attendant lands."

Edmure's brow creased as he sat forward. "I don't think that's –"

"We are fighting for the North." Robb reminded, raising his voice towards Edmure. "Harrenhal is not in the North. It is his once the war is over and we have no further strategic need for it."

Freya lifted a finger. "Excuse me, Ser Walder and Lothar, if I may continue my previous statement." All eyes were on her now, but Freya did not cower away. "My husband and I would like to offer you a proposal. King Robb did not first marry one of Walder Frey's daughters, but that does not mean this cannot still happen. We have both discussed that we are willing to offer a Frey girl in a position of a second wife."