TWELVE

CHAPTER 12 | SUMMER STORMS

ROBB and his army were going South in two days

ROBB and his army were going South in two days. Freya used this time to bribe the blacksmith of Winterfell into making her a Greyjoy shield designed for her and only her. After handing him more sacks of gold than was needed, he had the shield done for her by the morning of the day Robb was leaving. It was perfect timing.

Freya didn't tell many of her plan, but the first person she spoke with was Rickon. She held the small babe in her arms, wishing he were hers. He wailed on about how everyone was leaving him, and it broke Freya's heart to hear such words. Being with the child and feeling happiness was like a slice in her gut, while also knowing that she didn't have the chance to have one of her own.

She then told Selene, and was met with a response that she expected: "I will not, m'lady!" Selene exclaimed. "I will not risk your life, nor my life, to go against Lord Stark's orders and sneak in with his army! I just won't do it!"

That night, Selene ate her own words as Freya slipped a helmet over her face. "I can't believe you're making me do this," she muttered. Never in her years would Selene have pictured herself in an armored suit, sneaking into an army for war with her lady. But Freya was nothing but persuasive, and she believed that she belonged in this fight, which was something that Selene truly admired. Maybe this was a good thing. She wouldn't have to miss Theon, but Selene did wonder what would happen once Robb found out that they were there.

Theon had given his sister a quick goodbye, for she did not tell him of her plan. Freya tried her best to act as if she had nothing forming in her mind, but she guessed her brother could sense it. Nevertheless, the two gave each other a proper goodbye.

Robb led his army South and into the night. He was accompanied by several Northern houses on horseback, plus Selene and Freya riding in the back. Freya had on one of the blacksmith's old armored suits and a scarf wrapped around her head, disguising her features and female physique. He almost made it too easy for them to join.

By morning, Robb had everyone set up camp in a Southern battle field. Freya and Selene hopped down from their horses and waited in the shadows to find Theon. They marched forward when they saw him setting up a tent for himself. Now, Freya had hid her shield throughout most of the ride, but found it hard to hide it in a large sack as the two disguised women marched through the camp. The shield – being as heavy as it was – ripped right through the sack it was in and when one of House Glover's men saw the sigil on it, he immediately grabbed the two ladies.

"Let us go!" Freya had said in her best manly voice, but it was obviously fake. Selene's teeth chattered in fear.

The Glover man shoved the two women inside Robb's tent, who was chatting with Theon and a few other Northern lords. Freya recognized Lord Umber amongst them. "What is the meaning of this?" Robb asked.