TWENTY NINE

CHAPTER 29 | LUCKY

"WALDER Frey is a dangerous man to cross," Catelyn had told him

"WALDER Frey is a dangerous man to cross," Catelyn had told him. "Half of his soldiers withdrew from your army when you broke your promise by marrying Lady Freya for revenge against Balon Greyjoy. Treat your oaths recklessly and your people will do the same."

Robb was not keen on hearing his mother's response when he told her that he would keep his marriage to Freya after the war was over. Catelyn had sensed this happening, and she was not happy. Not just because she never had a great liking towards Freya, but because her son had broke his marriage-alliance. He could tell Walder Frey that he would agree to take a second wife all he wanted, but she knew Robb did not want that, and Lord Frey would never let it happen either. He wanted his daughter to marry a King, not to be a second wife to one.

Robb now talked of the end of the war like he could see the future. He talked of them killing Joffrey with both their hands. He talked of them having a formal reception, where they may even invite her no-good father. "It was him, after all, that I wanted to get revenge on," Robb had said. "Little did I know that this would happen." He even talked of their children filling the halls of Winterfell, leaving Freya incredibly nervous every time he would try to touch her.

She didn't know when she'd tell Robb that she was barren, but from the way he was speaking, she knew it had to be soon. Her anxiety of the situation left her awake most nights.

Just a week later, the Stark army marched on to Harrenhal in the Riverlands. Robb and Freya, along with Roose Bolton at their side, led the host towards the large castle, which apparently, was now granted to Lord Petyr Baelish. Robb, Freya, and Lord Bolton took a moment to look at the castle, and Freya found herself marveling at it's beauty.

"We should set the siege lines a thousand yards from Harrenhal." Lord Bolton advised.

Robb shook his head. "There won't be a siege. The Mountain can't defend a ruin."

Roose shrugged. "I imagine the Mountain will defend whatever Tywin Lannister tells him to defend."

"The Lannisters have been running from us since Oxcross," Robb reminded, feeling defeated.

"I'd love a fight. Our banner men would love a fight," Freya muttered, already marching her horse forward, "but I don't think we're going to get one, boys."

And they were right. Robb and Freya walked into the castle easily, leaving their horses behind with a few banner men. They strode inside, arms lace together, like a husband and wife should. Freya's foot landed in a puddle of blood, and she quickly pulled it out. A man was hung up beside her, but when she and her husband looked around, all they saw were corpses. Arrows were plunged in their chests; some were still bleeding out. The Stark army wasn't expecting a fight, but they surely didn't expect to walk in on a massacre.

"They killed them all," Freya whispered, her grip growing tighter on Robb's arm.

Roose Bolton and Lord Karstark followed them through the entrance, and slowly looked around at the murder that had taken place. Lord Karstark shook his head and muttered, "Two hundred Northmen slaughtered like sheep."