I change into the clean clothes and walk out. I've been in the abandoned dungeons on the far side of the castle so the Slytherins wouldn't find me. It's pretty cold and damp down here. And there are rats. I've decided I do not like rats.

I climb the stairs, intending to go straight to my dormitory to get my broom, then up to the Astronomy tower to wait until it gets dark. But then-

“Aurie! You're back!”

I turn and see Fred hurrying up the stairs behind me. My heart leaps and I feel my fangs pushing at my gums. Apparently the blood Lupin gave me wasn't enough to make me completely safe.

“Hi,” I say as Fred stops next to me, “how are you?”

“Me? What about you? George's been so worr...”

His voice fades away as I zero in on his pulse. I sniff the air and catch the scent of his blood. It makes my head spin. It smells so good. So good. It's more than just my hungry. It's something else.

I step back.

“Where is George?” I ask. Fred looks a bit surprised that I interrupted, but starts walking up the stairs. I follow.

“He's in the common room,” Fred says, “he'll be so glad to see you.”

I glance out the window. The sun has just dipped below the horizon. I know that if George sees me he'll kiss me and if George kisses me then I'll bite him. I'm just too hungry, too close to the edge.

“Fred, um, I've got to go and see, um, Dumbledore,” I say, “um, I need to sort out the, um, classes I've missed. Don't tell George I'm back, I'll see him tomorrow morning.”

Fred frowns, but nods.

“Alright, well, I'm glad you're okay,” he says. I smile at him, trying not to fidget.

“It's good to be back,” I say, “it's a bugger I can't go and see George. I've really missed him.”

Fred's expression clears and he smiles at me warmly.

“That's alright, it'll be a nice surprise for him at breakfast,” he says, “see you.”

“Bye.”

I watch him take the stairs to the left. Something in me snarls, disapproving of letting him go. I head up the stairs to my dormitory. Chrissie, Jessica and Georgiana are in there. Georgiana is sitting on her bed reading while Chrissie and Jessica read a magazine together.

“Look who's back,” Chrissie says, “don't breathe on me. I don't want to catch loser.”

I ignore her. Georgiana has lain her book aside and smiles at me.

“I'm glad you're back,” she says, “dragon pox is awful.”

“Totally,” I nod, heading over the my wardrobe and getting my broom out, “sorry, I have to go.”

“You just got back,” Georgiana protests.

“I know, Dumbledore,” I say vaguely, “see you later.”

I rush out again, ignoring Chrissie's “What a freak!”. I jog up to the Astronomy tower and push the doors open. The wind pushes in, whipping my hair around my face. The sky is dark blue with only a couple of stars appearing. I know it's too early to hunt, but I can leave. I'll just fly to a town further away.

I mount my broom and jump from the tower, falling a few feet before the broomstick catches on and hovers. I lean forward, shooting out into the grounds. From far below I hear a werewolf's howl. Looks like both Lupin and I are battling our demons tonight.

Ravenclaw's ShadowOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara