4: Dangerous Risks

Scott POV

The car ride takes what feels like forever. It's a nine hour trip. I'm bored out of my mind. I've already had two naps. I look around at the people surrounding me. Derek is in the front, driving. Hayden and Liam are snuggling close together. Corey and Mason are holding hands. Isaac and Malia are in deep conversation together while Jackson is talking to Lydia. I wonder if she still has feelings for him. I never asked her. I then turn my attention back to the scenery out of the car. I watch the snow fall gently to the ground, lightly powdering it white. The trees are covered in a thin layer of frost and snow too. It's really beautiful. This is why I like winter. However, winters in Beacon Hills usually only involve rain. We don't even get many thunderstorms. I look up at the mountains far ahead of us. From here, they seem dark and mysterious. I almost feel like there's a whole other world on the other side, but I know that's impossible. At least we're almost at the right place now. My hope starts rising in my chest. Maybe today is the day I'll find Stiles. I can't help but grin at the thought.

About an hour later, Derek slows to a stop. "Are we there yet?" Isaac asks hopefully.

"Yep." Derek answers. With that, everyone piles out of the van. It was a tight fit for everyone to get into the van, but somehow, we managed. If we do find Stiles, it will be a harder trip back, but I don't care about that. No one else should either. We all walk around, taking in the surroundings. "Where do we start looking?" Hayden asks, looking at the tall mountains. "We'll split up. Isaac, Lydia, Jackson, Liam and myself will check the mountains. Derek, Malia, Hayden, Mason and Corey will check the woods in this area. We will meet back here when it gets dark, okay?" I tell the group. They all nod in agreement. With that, the pack splits up. Isaac, Lydia, Jackson and I walk towards the mountains. "How are we going to go about this?" Liam asks uncertainly.

"We'll need to climb." I shrug.

"Is everyone okay with that?" I ask.

"Yes." Jackson replies.

"Sure thing." Isaac says.

"I guess so." Liam shrugs.

"I don't know how well I'll do, but I will try. For Stiles." Lydia answers bravely.

"Don't worry, Lyds. If you don't think you can do it anymore, I'll carry you." Jackson tells her sweetly. Lydia smiles and nods. We continue to make our way to the bottom of the first mountain. I realize that I haven't thought this through very well. We don't have any proper mountain climbing gear at all. Oh well, werewolves shouldn't need it. We can heal. Although, Lydia isn't a werewolf, so that could be a problem. She can turn back and help the others if she wants. Or I guess Jackson can carry her. The snow starts to pick up. "Is it safe? Maybe we should wait until the snow calms down." Liam suggests.

"We'll be fine. It's a good thing Lydia decided to wear good outdoor clothing." I say. I'm the first one to start climbing up the steep mountain. In the beginning, the climb is quite easy. Everyone is walking side by side. I have noticed that the temperature is colder now, but it's not too bad. Lydia shivers slightly. Jackson puts his arm around her. "Thanks." Lydia smiles appreciatively. We continue walking. I think we are about a quarter of the way up when the snow starts to get really heavy. I think there might be a storm rolling in. "Scott, we should turn around." Isaac warns. The others mumble in agreement. I stop and turn to look at my friends. "We can't give up now. Come on, we'll just go a little further. If the weather gets worse, we'll turn around." I say. I wasn't about to walk down this mountain. We have come this far. The others don't seem to be thinking along the same line. "Scott, it's too dangerous. The weather's getting bad and the mountain only gets steeper. We will literally have to climb up it. Besides, there's no guarantee that Stiles is even here." Jackson speaks up, seriousness in his voice. I shake my head in disappointment. "Fine. You can stay here or head back down, but I'm going to keep climbing." I shrug, turning around and start walking up the mountain again. My friends try to protest, but I ignore them. Soon, their shouts are lost in the wind.