CHAPTER NINETEEN - The Fort at Northwest Cape

Start from the beginning

"It's okay," Kendra reassured her. "They're totally safe."

"My mom said they're safer than a car," said Xianna.

Timber looked up at Grace for confirmation and Grace nodded. She looked back at her friends and smiled. They beamed at her. They had grown accustomed to Timber's fear of new things and experiences and her hesitant behaviors but they had also figured out that a gentle word of encouragement was usually all it took for her to accept that she would be alright. Timber loved them for it.

"Ladies and Gentlemen," said a teacher with a bullhorn. "The buses will be here in five minutes. I'm sorry for the short delay. They had to change one of the scheduled buses at the last minute due to a problem with the engine." Timber looked up at Grace.

"Are you sure we have everything?" she asked.

"Your camera, a fully charged set of batteries, lunch, a snack, sunglasses, your notebook, and a pencil, and souvenir money," said Grace. "You made me check twice last night, remember? I even packed my travel med kit to make you happy."

"I just want to be prepared," said Timber unapologetically.

They spent the next few minutes getting organized. Each class was going on a separate bus so Timber and her friends walked through the sea of jumbled students and parents to get to Mrs. Gibney. Once, Timber had her foot stepped on and several times she accidentally bumped shoulders with one of her classmates. It was quieter after everyone was in their group. Timber's class was busy chatting when Mrs. Gibney called for their attention.

"Before the buses get here, I want to let you know that when we get to Fort Ross, there will be time to explore after the tour is finished. I have assigned you all to groups of five and six. You are to stay with your groups while we are at Fort Ross, but you can sit where you like on the bus."

As if on cue, five yellow buses pulled into the loading area. Students were instructed to line up and go single file onto their designated buses. Timber, Xianna, Kendra, Ashley, Gina, and Grace all shuffled to the middle of the bus. The teacher was in the front and the second chaperone was in the back. Safety rules and emergency exits were pointed out for those who had never been on the bus before. Timber paid very close attention, though she knew she was going to be fine with Grace so nearby.

At last, they were moving. It was a straight trip down Chestnut Street and then they were on Highway One. Timber was sitting beside Gina, who had graciously given Timber the window seat. It was a short two-hour drive. There was plenty to see. Grace pointed out the lighthouse, and Mendocino Bay, and Xianna and Ashley were making them laugh by telling jokes and stories about their older brothers. The girls got especially excited when Grace called their attention and pointed out an area called Timber Cove.

When they reached Fort Ross, everyone was anxious to get off the bus. Timber was amazed by the sheer beauty of the area. On her right side, there was a green field that dropped down into the ocean, and on her left was a sturdy wall made of preserved wood with roofs peeking out over the top. Inside, Timber's jaw dropped. Every building was made from dark, weathered wood in pristine condition. There were old cannons, a windmill, an old chapel, and a large building all within the walls. She felt like she had been transported back in time.

Mrs. Gibney called for the attention of her students and informed them that she was putting them into their groups. Timber hoped she would be with her friends. When she got the paper with her group, she stopped smiling. None of her friends were on the list. All five of them had been separated and put into different groups. She looked up. None of them looked happy either. She grumbled quietly and went to join her new group. They weren't bad. Timber didn't mind any of them, but she knew her friends better.