Lucy nodded and murmured all the required responses, doing her duty as the eldest to entertain their hosts while her unsupportive sisters took themselves off immediately to get ready for the beach. Lucy sipped at her orange juice, helped herself to the light repast of sandwiches and smiled tightly. The knowledge that Jace was around, at the back of her mind and as always, haunting. Lucy rubbed absently at the goosebumbs that covered skin.

A laugh just at her back told her Jace was not unaware of her problem.

"Mummy, you're hogging our guest," he chided gently. "We want to get down to the beach. Lucy still has to prove to me she hasn't gone all girly on me this last winter and forgotten how to surf."

Lucy gritted her teeth in affront and turned to bare it in a half snarl. Like always, just when she did lean towards being at all girly around him, he challenged her back into her usual tomboyish ways. It sometimes served as a relief, in snubbing her bourgeoning feelings for him in bud, and at other times, like the present – it just irked her into losing her temper. Manners forgotten, Lucy bounded to her feet to turn on him.

"You're on!" She declared before turning towards his bedroom, the room they all shared when they stayed there. She was happy to go in as is, but she knew from experience, the water would soak through her t-shirt and reveal way more than she was willing to put on display.

"Alright dears," called out Mrs Neil after them, "but dinner is at seven! Don't be late."

Emily squealed and whipped off her t-shirt as she went hasting out the back door. Her grip on Cat firm as she tugged her along after her. Lucy turned to Jace.

"I can't wait to strip down to my bathers."

There was an ominous ring to his husky tone as he said that over her shoulder, sending shivers of reaction trembling down her spine. Lucy stiffened her spine and straightened her shoulders.

"Oh, alright then," she managed, if a little breathlessly. Lucy made for the bed, where all their luggage had been unceremoniously pilled upon. She spared him an admonishing look over her shoulder before reaching out for her bag. Rummaging within, she tugged out her trusty one-piece suit. Jace's groan was audible behind her, Lucy turned back to find his bright gazed narrowed on the black stretchy material.

"You still have that? It must be three years old," he exclaimed rudely.

But Lucy merely shrugged. It was. Her sixteenth birthday present to be precise and Jace should know. He bought it for her.

"Its good quality," she complimented appreciatively.

"But poor design," he muttered under his breath.

"What was that?"

"No nothing." Jace said shaking his head. "I'll get changed in the bathroom. You go ahead and use the room," he offered graciously. That had her narrowing her eyes. He was never gracious. At least not with her.

"Nope, I need to use the bathroom. You change here." Pushing past him, she went to do just that.

The suit was a tight fit but not by much. Lucy really hadn't blossomed out all that much in the last three years. Her waist was tinier but bust was much the same. Small and pert.

But despite that, the suit, for some reason, appeared snug to her eyes, as she surveyed her length in the floor-length mirror. Shrugging her shoulders indifferently, Lucy ran a rough hand through her boy-cut hair, glad for its no-fuss no-muss style and simply walked on out. Making her way back to Jace's room, to drop her things and grab her board. The room was devoid of Jace. Catching sight of a bottle of sunblock, she paused to squirt some onto the palm of her hand and apply it across the bared expanse of her skin.