(2). Tommy

Dear Tommy,

Happy birthday. I'm so happy that you've made it to 10! It is exciting that, after all these years, I'm finally going to see you again. I'm so sorry I wasn't able to attend your party, but I had to stay in Chicago to take care of the mess Mom left behind. I'll be home soon.

Love and Goodbye-byes,
Bekka

My heartbeat increased and I screamed. Gray shot up out of bed and looked to me like I had grown two heads.

"Bekka's coming back, Gray!!!" I yelled, showing him the letter and kneeling at the side of his bed. He studied it and furrowed his brow.

"Don't figure she'll like that Henry and Val turned her old bedroom into a weight room," he chuckled. I shook my head and pulled the letter out of his hands.

"I've gotta go show everyone else!" I declared and raced to the door.

"Alright, just don't scream anymore. I think one of my ear drums popped that last round," he teased, rubbing his hand over his ear.

I rolled my eyes and left our room. I had been five when Bekka left us, or rather when Mom took her from us. I don't have as many memories as my older brothers but I know that Bekka is amazing. She once saved a baby squirrel from a black hawk and nursed it back to health. Henry says she called it Baby and gave it a bottle every meal she ate (plus some nips when she had snacks). The older boys had been hit hard when she left. Henry and her were very close and when she was gone, he really didn't try to stay connected with us. She and him were a pair and without one, the other wasn't worth much.

I think that Henry will be very happy to hear that Bekka's coming home. Dad too. He missed her most, I think.

I stepped into the kitchen where Dad and Henry and Val were getting ready to go out and work in the field. Val was finishing his coffee when I walked in. They all looked to me.

"What's up kid?" Val asked, setting his mug in the sink.

"I ... uh, opened the letter from Bekka," I explained. When I said Bekka's name, Henry did that thing where he murmurs something so quiet only God knows what it is. You only know he says something because his lips move. "She said she's coming home." Henry looked at me and grabbed the collar of my shirt, lifting me off the ground.

"Thomas," he growled, "this is not a game. Bek's not coming home, never!"

"No she is! Look!" I declared and thrusted the paper into his face. He let me go and rested the paper delicately in his hands, his fingers curling around it without touching the lettering. His eyes darted across the page, tears threatened to spill from his eyes. He looked up at me and threw his great, long arms around my smaller frame.

"Bek's coming home," he whispered. A small cry left his mouth a he spoke and he laughed. He quickly pulled away and looked to Dad. "Bek's coming home," he repeated

Val and Dad looked to each other and took the letter from Henry's hands.

"Rebekha," Dad whispered and smiled up at us. "Well then I guess we should take the weights out of her room then."

Well all laughed. Tears in everyone's eyes as they thought about their Grasshopper.

That night I wrote her a letter back.

Dear Bekka,

I showed Dad and Henry and Val and Gray your letter. They are very happy that you are coming home and so am I. I hope that things in Chicago are well enough for you to travel. Maybe you'll see Julian on the plane. He likes to travel a lot these days. I can't wait for him to come home and see you. Please have a safe trip.

Love,
Little Cicada