First She Will Send a Friend

Echo’s POV

I keep a tight hold on Ari’s arm afraid that if I let her go she’ll vanish from my sight. She seems to feel the same because she clings to me as much as I do to her. When we were young she was always like another sister to me. Closer to me then my own twin.

“Ari and I have a lot to talk about so since it’s my day off we’ll be heading out but I’ll bring her back to the house for dinner tonight. Make sure to tell the girls I’ll be home for dinner!” I smile and begin to lead Ari past Chad and his men but am stopped by Asher as he steps in front of me.

His breath is harsh and angry as he stares down at me. “You think you can leave me?”

I wince at his choice of words. Pushing aside my feelings for him I try to focus on the fact that Ari is here and that means that soon the others will be coming. My short lived freedom is quickly coming to an end and I can’t lead on Asher when I know I’m going to have to leave him. “I said we’d be home for dinner and we will be. In fact we’ll be back in time to make dinner and then eat with everyone, okay?” I raise my eyes to meet his in a silent challenge. Sure I’m smaller and physically weaker than him but I’m the Sea Witch and nobody scares me.

After a short staring contest he moves out of my way and I hear Ari release a breath. “Don’t be late.” One little sentence but I can tell how hard it is for him to let me go. Why he feels so protective over me I don’t know but as long as he realizes he can’t control.

Smiling I reach up and kiss his cheek before slipping past him, “We won’t be!” With those parting words Ari and I get in the elevator and watch the guys in silence as the door closes.

“Well, well, well,” I turn to see a smirking Ari. “No wonder you’re having such a great time out here! You bitch!” I wince when I hear not only jealousy but hurt in her tone though she tries to cover it up with teasing.

When I meet her eyes we both know that trying to hide feelings and keep secrets will get us nowhere, we know each other too well for that crap. “Yeah well considering I’ve only known him a week… Save all the angry bullshit.”

The elevator dings open on the ground floor and Ari stomps out ahead of me. “You were always the strong one, Echo! How could you do this to us?” She doesn’t bother to hide the bitterness this time.

“Because just like you I wanted to be free, even if it was just a taste, though it looks like my freedom is coming to an end.” I follow her outside and to my car. I watch her whirl around to face me and see the anger and betrayal in her eyes. Her normally pale skin is mottled red with rage and her blue eyes flash with pain. “You once told me that your few months away from the coven were the happiest you ever had. No rules to follow. No Grand-mere watching over your shoulder. I wanted that, Ari! For once in my life I wanted to be selfish and think only of myself and what I wanted! No family! No coven! No Sea Witch! What’s so wrong with wanting to break free from the chains I’ve been trapped in?”

She comes closer and I shut my eyes as she reaches out and slaps me across the face, “How dare you!” Opening my eyes I stand still and let her hit and smack me, grabbing my arms she shakes me, and screams obscenities. Tears fall down from her eyes and her flaming red hair flies around her face like flames. She finally collapses into my arms as I hold her against me and rock her back and forth.

“Shh its okay, Ari.” I repeat the words I said to her earlier. Stroking her hair I lead her over to my car and help her into the passenger’s side seat. “Come one Ari let’s go for a drive, okay?”

~

Ari and I reach a little secluded beach I found months ago when I first came to shore. It was here that I came when I needed to get away from the constant buzz of people in the city. Bringing Ari here is like a dream come true. My best friend and I lounging on the beach clad only in the tiny bikinis I keep in my trunk. She and I used to do this a lot when we were younger and had time to be lazy. Things changed once we got older. In fact everything changed.