seven

CHAPTER SEVEN

The lost boys selected their weapons carefully, knowing their skill sets.

I, myself, knew the only thing I could hunt with was a bow and arrow, the weapon Oscar had chosen.

"What are you waiting for?" Pan leaned against a tree, waiting for me to choose a weapon.

"I can't hunt with any of these."

"What would you prefer?" Pan waved his arm across the lost boys. "You can choose any of the boys' weapons, but you'll have to challenge them for it."

I scouted Oscar chatting to Flynn and Felix, the bow in his arms. "Oscar!"

His head turned to me and I beckoned him over with my hand. "What do you want, princess?"

"Your bow." I stated very clearly.

Pan watched in amusement as Oscar laughed at me with pity. "Okay, princess, if you can hit all three targets more accurate than me, it's all yours."

We lined ourselves in front of the first target. He took his shot first, the arrow hitting the ring around bullseye.

Flynn whistled him on, "Oscar my boy!"

Gracefully, I took the arrow into my own arms. Drawing the string back once I had placed the arrow into its hold. The string pinched my cheek as I let go.

A round of clapping was audible behind me as the arrow slammed into the centre of the target board.

Oscar seethed in anger. "Give me that." He growled, taking his next shot on the second target, but he was to unfocused so he missed.

I, on the other hand, hit bullseye again. Purposely enraging Oscar, because of his actions the previous night.

The last shot for Oscar was a bullseye, direct centre, no chance for me to even get close.

As I drew my arrow back ready to fire, Oscar jump scared me, trying to get me to release early. I held my grip on it and let go after I had exhaled my breath.

The arrow spun violently threw the air, harshly forcing its way through Oscar's arrow and splitting it in half.

"Looks like you're going to have to find another weapon, Oscar." I grinned up at him, snatching the pocket of arrows from his body.

Pan approached me slowly as Oscar trudged back to the weapons wall. "You did well."

"Thank you." My hand subconsciously tucked my dark locks behind my ear.

"You and Felix can be partners on this trip, he's younger than a lot of the boys here but he's just as strong." Pan raised an eyebrow at me. "Hopefully, you won't try to poison him too."

"Pan, I didn't-"

"Even if I was to forgive you, I can't ignore the fact that you didn't call me Pan." Pan lowered his voice so the lost boys couldn't hear him.

~

Trekking through the miles of forestry had only made my feet ache. There was no sign of anything to hunt.

"Have you seen anything?" My voice floated across the open space.

Felix turned to me, "Not at all, we don't usually come out this far."

"Are we lost?" I sighed, placing my bow on my back.

Felix moved his head up and down, a guilty expression dawning on his face. "I have some water, here."

He stepped closer to me as I leaned against the tree. The water flask was cool against my lips as I took a swig.

"Thanks." I looked up at him but was met with a dark object clouding my vision.