"Vivien," Mother said with a bright smile. "Thank you for coming today." She motioned to the covered mannequin. "Is this the dress?"

"Yes, Risa," she said. "Some of my best work, if you ask me. I hope it fits your vision." Smiling from behind her thin, triangular glasses, Vivien tugged the sheet away with a grand sweep of her arm.

A collective gasp echoed through the solarium.

The dress was breathtakingly beautiful. Mimicking a cloudless night sky, shades of violet and navy swirled together in a masterpiece of silky fabric that flared from the waist like tendrils of smoke. Delicate netting adorned with white and golden crystals formed the constellations that watched over Hunting Hollow during the winter months, weaving up the bodice and into the long sleeves.

"With Hayley's tall height and curvy figure, I opted for a dramatic cut for the neckline," the seamstress explained with a smile. "A diamond necklace for her birthday, perhaps?"

"Oh, Hayley!" Ms. Casas breathed, standing on the opposite side of the mannequin, her hands clasped over her heart. "It's beautiful!"

Stunned and speechless, I stared and stared at the gown. This ritual was just as much for them as it was for me. The warmth flooding my veins felt like wildfire, hot and destructive, instead of the heated glee brought by beautiful gowns. Mother beamed at the vision with fresh tears in her eyes, and the tiled floors felt unsteady beneath my feet.

Their little lamb decorated beautifully before her slaughter. A prize winner, through and through.

"Look at her!" Vivien cried when I shuddered a breath. "Swooning over her gown!"

Pulse fluttering in my throat, I braced against the door, ready to lock myself in the library. "It's beautiful," I said truthfully, my voice hoarse. "It's the most beautiful dress I've ever seen."

"We've worked on the design since last year," Mother explained, and the white-hot anger I felt toward her wavered. "For your eighteenth birthday celebration... I... I didn't want it to go to waste."

Without a word, nearly tripping over my dress, I gathered my mother in a crushing embrace. Holding me tight, she petted my hair, whispering kind words, encouragement, and love, while I whispered apologies and comforting words. No matter how terrible I felt—no matter how hot my emotions burned—I couldn't resent her. My mother. Another victim in this vicious game. I loved her more than anything. I would never forget myself if my time left with her was marred with indignation.

When Vivien snapped her fingers, two assistants emerged from the library. "Come, Hayley," she said. "We'll get you changed in there. I'd like to see the fit for any final alterations."

Swiping away tears, I followed them into the privacy of the windowless adjoining room. The fabric slides over my frame with ease, the soft fabric like silk petals against my skin.

When I stepped back into the solarium, Father waited beside Mother. His dark eyes widened with renewed awe, as though this were the first time he gazed at his only living daughter. Standing there, he was a man drowning in sorrow. "You look beautiful," he whispered. "My darling girl."

It was strange. When I thought of a moment such as this, I imagined I would be stepping out in a wedding dress.

"Well, will you look at this!" Vivien exclaimed from the library. She emerged with the opal necklace in hand, and my heart skipped a beat. "I've never seen such a lovely stone! It fell out of your pocket, Hayley."

The light refracted rainbows from its smooth face. "Oh—" I lurched for the pendant, but the seamstress held it out of reach. "It's—"

Stepping behind me, Vivien clasped the necklace firmly around my neck. "Well, well. A perfect match to a perfect dress. One could say it's to die for."