Titles like "Distancing Yourself from Emotional Dependency"

Start from the beginning

Skulduggery shrugged. "I was curious as to what you were up to, nowadays, considering you refuse to pick up my calls after also refusing to work with me ever again. However, follow is a strong term. I honestly had lost you a while back, but then I nearly ran you over."

Valkyrie laughed, turning her back to him. "I can't believe this. I literally cannot believe this."

Skulduggery sounded much too happy. "You do look cold, and I did buy a room. Would you...?"

Valkyrie whipped around. Skulduggery offered her the key, and she grabbed it, stalking to the room and letting herself in.

The room was small and damp and reeked of cigarette smoke. Valkyrie pushed wet hair out of her eyes and sat on the desk—the only piece of furniture without cloth on it. Skulduggery flicked on the light and deactivated the façade.

"I always wondered what mortals thought needed investigating. A cheating husband, how mundane." He looked over at her. "Your talents are wasted working for mortals, I hope you know that."

Valkyrie glared at Skulduggery's shoes. "Yes, well, I don't pick the cases, the Sanctuary does, and no sorcerer would touch me with a fifty-foot pole."

"I would."

Valkyrie fought the smile threatening to creep across her face. "Skulduggery, I thought I told you I don't want to work with you."

Skulduggery nodded. "Ah, yes, I do believe that was our last conversation. Forgive me for having some questions, and wishing to discuss this matter further, but you really left me with no choice. I haven't worked with you in years, and I'm not about to let you go freelance."

Valkyrie didn't answer.

Skulduggery cleared his throat. "Right, well, if you could just explain to me why you don't want to be my partner any more, I'd be happy to leave you be to take pictures of your wayward husband a few rooms over."

Valkyrie frowned, and then looked up at him. "You asked China where I was, didn't you? That's why you're in London."

"You're deflecting."

"You're following me!"

Skulduggery raised his hands. "Perhaps this conversation got off on the wrong foot. I just want to know what you're thinking."

Valkyrie stood. "I'm thinking that you don't understand why I went to America in the first place. Which is—fine whatever, but I'm trying to work, and I really don't appreciate you interfering. So, if you'll excuse me..."

Skulduggery held up her phone. Valkyrie slapped her hands against her pockets.

"When you turned around," he explained, rather meekly.

"Oh my God."

"Valkyrie, I just want to know what I did wrong."

"Yeah, and you're being really annoying about it!" she yelled, forgetting she was supposed to be undercover.

Skulduggery's shoulders were slumped, and immediately Valkyrie wished she hadn't said that.

"I'm sorry," she said.

"It's perfectly alright. I was, perhaps, a bit desperate with this attempt. You're working, and you obviously don't want to talk to me, and I was being rude and invasive. I apologize." He held out her phone.

Valkyrie hesitated. She stepped forward and took her phone.

"I miss you," he said.

She looked up at him.

"I... I've tried to be understanding," he continued. "With America, and... when you didn't want to work with me. But I can't help it, I miss you. God, Valkyrie, I miss you." He was close, so close, but he didn't touch her.

"Skulduggery, I am working," she murmured, looking away.

"Yes." He adjusted the hat on his head. "I'll leave you to it, then."

He touched her elbow as he moved by her—a purely unconscious action, she knew, but it made her stomach role and twist. She blushed, staring at the ground until she heard the door shut behind her.

She let out a breath. Took another deep one; oxygen calms the heart, calms the body, parasympathetic. Skulduggery had taught her that on the phone.

...

Skulduggery handed her the tea, which Valkyrie accepted.

"God, thank you so much, they don't have this brand in America." Valkyrie took a long drink, feeling the warmth pool in her stomach. "You really don't have to fly here every time I say I need something."

"Nonsense," Skulduggery said, removing his hat and settling in his armchair. "I'm just happy to spend time with you."

This was the third time he had visited and said nothing about the books around the house. Books with long titles.