One.

I watched her stare at me with her light brown eyes. Her arms crossed her chest as she told me the worst thing my ears could possibly hear. 

"Rosalina, we're moving," she said

I couldn't focus. I know what she said, but my mind wasn't responding. She looked at me with her head tilted to the right. 

"Rose did you hear me?"

"We're what?" 

She turned to face my stepdad as he walked into the kitchen where we were standing. 

"Unfortunately, Rosalina, I have lost my job. Now things aren't right with the bills and the house," he said, reaching out to Mom.  "So we're going to move to Atlanta. I found a new business, and it's best if we pack up." 

I shook my head. " No! No, it isn't best. Mom, I'm going to be a senior in high school. My last year is supposed to be fun, not spending it alone, starting over." I said sternly, trying to get them to understand me.

Mom smiled. " Rose. You're going to be fine; you'll make new friends. You're so special anyone would want to be your friend."

"She's right. Plus you won't be alone, you have family there. Your cousin Ellie, remember?" Howard said, "She's your age and can show you around town."

I frowned. My whole life, I've lived here in Philly. Everything I know starts here. My first kiss, date, my first fight. If I go, it feels like I'm leaving a part of me behind—especially my best friend, Grant. We've been friends since literally birth. Our mothers are BFFs, and so we just naturally became the same. Grant and I tell each other everything. He's like my diary and advice giver. Senior year was supposed to be the year we both break out and do something crazy out of this world. Now it feels like I can't even bear to open my mouth to tell him I'm leaving.

I sat there with a solid look, no expression at all. I knew that I couldn't argue with them. The choice has been made, and I can see that we already have the tickets scheduled as they lay on the end table, trying to be discreet, but I noticed them anyway. I just sniffled and sat up. 

"Fine," I said softly. I was surprised they still heard me.
Mom leaned over to kiss my forehead. " I promise you everything will be okay."

I left them to go upstairs to my room. I never really realized how much of a big part of me this room was until it was time for me to leave it. I opened my closet to see my blue suitcase sitting on the shelf. I reached for it, threw it onto my bed and sighed.
I can't imagine how bad it will be when I tell Grant I'm leaving.

About a week later, the whole house was boxed up. The living room was empty, with a few boxes in the corner titled 'Rose's Trophies' and 'Books.' Mom ran inside and looked at me, smiling. She was happy. I guess a fresh start in a new town would do her good, especially after all the bad stuff that's been said about her and my father. He left us six years ago, but it still feels like it was just the other day. I didn't know the whole truth about why he left; I just noticed some nights he'd come home drunk and absurd. Mom was tired of it. She tried to get him help, but things wouldn't turn about.

I don't think Dad left because it was alcoholism but something more. Like he wasn't ready to tend to a family like he thought, they got together right after high school. They were sweethearts, but that cracked. Mom kept insisting that Dad was just a lousy drunk, and I couldn't bear the idea of Dad leaving at the time. I mean, I was his daughter; she was his wife. Why leave us? But now I don't feel anything for him. He's been gone so long that I can't remember his face without looking at an old picture.

Mom nudged my shoulder. " Are you ready?" She asked

"Um, yeah. I just finished packing the last of my room." 

"Rose. I know that you're upset about-

"It's fine Mom, this is obviously something you wanna do and are happy about it so.."

She smiled. "I am. Moving to Atlanta for Howard's business would benefit us as a family. New home, new income. And we'll have enough money to send you to your dream college."

I nodded. Howard ran inside and clapped his hands together once. It was very loud since the room was empty; it made an echo.

"Alright, ladies, let's load the rest onto the truck." He said eagerly. I grabbed a box or two and put them in the trunk. Grant stood outside on the front lawn with his hands dug into his pockets. Mom looked between me and him. She pushed me up. 

"We'll give you two some time to talk," she said before returning to the house to double-check. I walked up to Grant.

"Hey," I said

He shrugged. "So it's true huh?"

"Yep"

This conversation was so awkward. The first time, I didn't know what to say to Grant; it was hard to say goodbye. Before I knew it, his arms were wrapped around me, pulling me closer into a hug. His grip was tight and warm, like he refused to let go. But he had to. His arms slowly loosened, and he sighed. 

"I assure you this is NOT goodbye," he said

I couldn't respond. My face was already wet with tears. 

"Rose, stop crying. It's not like I'm dying. Or at least I hope I'm not." 

I smirked. "I'll see you later. Now that you'll be so many miles away its gonna take some getting used to not seeing you for breakfast in the morning. But we will reunite. And you have my number so call me when you need me. I'll be there in a heartbeat. You're my bestest friend," he said, rubbing my arm

"Okay now go on before you miss your flight. Oh and Rose do me a favor while you're there, don't hold back. Remember our deal for senior year and have fun, okay?"

"Bye Grant"

He waved as I got into the car. Howard started the engine and pulled out of the driveway. I smiled at Grant again before we drifted away down the street.