Ch. 39 - Unofficial

ابدأ من البداية

She laughs, "my parents turned my room into a gym! And they don't even like working out!"

"Damn, that's ruthless," Atticus comments.

"Where are you from, Reyna?"

"I'm actually from Maine. And, yes, I often wonder how the hell I ended up in Oregon."

We talk for awhile. I would've stayed later if I hadn't remembered Jett. At some point, Reyna suggested that Atticus and I go out with her and her unofficial boyfriend before I go back to college. I couldn't really say no. She has these weird compelling powers that didn't let me turn down the offer. Plus, Atticus seemed excited about it.

I pick Jett up from his yoga class and drop him off at our house. I immediately leave to pick up Amy for movie night. We meet Levi and Mo inside the theater at the concession stand.

"Ivy!" Levi exclaims, running to pick me up and spin me around. "How's my Ivy-leaguer doing?"

"He spent the whole drive here deciding on that pun, right?" I ask Mo, who confirms it with a head nod.

Levi sets me down on the carpeted floor. "As sassy as ever."

"How are you, Levi?" I ask. "How's the lady?"

"Engaged."

I drop my jaw and jump in the air in excitement. "Levi! What the hell?" I hit his arm. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Uh, because she's not engaged to me," he says, wearing a closed-mouth smile.

I stop jumping. "What?"

"Yeah," he sighs. "It's fine. I mean, as long as she's happy."

"I'm sorry."

"No, no. You shouldn't be. I'm cool with it."

"You are?"

He nods. "Seriously. It's not like I thought she was the one. Plus, I like being a bachelor. I'm surprisingly really good at flirting."

"That's not a surprise. You flirt with everything that has a pulse," Amy says.

Levi shrugs. "So what? I'm twenty-one and living the life."

"Well, since we're on the topic, I too have started living the life again," I say.

"No way. You're dating?"

I nod and flip my hair behind my shoulder. "I'm not bragging or anything, but I did go on four dates just in this week."

Levi does a catcall. "That's my girl! Anyone special?"

"I don't know. I mean, I wasn't looking for anything serious. I just wanted to try and move on. But Atticus is very sweet."

"Atticus? What the hell? You're living my To Kill A Mockingbird fantasy!" Amy whines. We all look at Amy with raised eyebrows. She just shrugs. "Like you haven't ever had an Atticus Finch fantasy."

"Okay, you're right," Levi sighs.

I roll my eyes. "Well, he lives here. The whole reason I'm not with Elliott is because of the distance...but...he is only here to save up enough money to afford Brown. So we would be at the same school."

"It's destiny!" Levi exclaims.

"That totally sounds like something in one of the Atticus Finch fan fictions Amy was reading," Mo comments while paying for his Skittles.

Amy sticks out her tongue. "Shut up, Harriet." She turns to me. "That is kind of crazy that the one guy you really connected with is going to Brown."