Ch. 39 - Unofficial

Start from the beginning

I huff and blow a piece of hair out of my face, only to have it fall back in place. "I asked you what you were doing tonight to change the subject from this whole dating idea."

"I know. I'm cool about things," he says. "I won't go to the movies tonight, if that's what you really need. I'll stay home and watch my roommate string along his unofficial girlfriend."

"Perfect," I comment.

Atticus shakes his head. "How late you staying? If you stay too late, my roommate will get back from work. I don't think we're ready for that step."

I stick out my tongue and pull out my phone. "I'm picking Jett up from his yoga class in an hour."

"I think you're safe for today." The buzzer in their apartment goes off. "Maybe I spoke too soon." Atticus walks over and holds his finger down on the button. "Yeah?"

"Hey, Atty," a girl's voice comes through the speaker. "Mind letting me in?"

"Uh, I kind of have someone over right now," Atticus says in a lower voice. "Can't you wait until he gets home from work?"

"It's raining outside and I took the bus into town. Please let me in," the girl begs. "I'm all sad and cold."

Atticus sighs and presses the button to unlock the door downstairs before walking back over to me. "I'm sorry. I know you don't want to progress our relationship this fast, but you're going to have to meet my roommate's unofficial girlfriend."

I smile. "Shoot, that's like one step before meeting the parents," I say sarcastically.

The apartment door swings open, and a girl with a drenched raincoat walks in. She smiles and quickly takes off her boots and hangs her coat on the rack in the corner of the entrance. She is beautiful, her long brown hair falling against her tan filipino skin.

"Hi!" She runs into the kitchen. "I'm Reyna."

"Ivy," I introduce and shake her welcoming hand.

"Oh my gosh, you guys, it is so cold outside. I thought I'd survive in a t-shirt today, but I nearly died. I'm going to go change into one of E's shirts," she says. "But when I get back I want to get to know this girl Atticus hasn't stopped talking about." She leaves the kitchen and walks into one of the bedrooms.

I look at Atticus with a smirk. "You haven't stopped talking about me?"

"She's exaggerating. Just because I mentioned your name once or twice, she thinks I'm obsessed."

"Well, aren't you?" I ask with a wink.

He shrugs. "More or less."

I take grab the front of his shirt and pull him in for a small kiss. Our second kiss. Not that I'm counting. It's a normal thing, to kiss boys. It's a thing I can do now that I'm moving on from Elliott.

He has a giddy grin on his face as he pulls back. "Thank you, Miss Ivy. I appreciate your show of affection."

I laugh and shake my head, turning to see Reyna walking back in with a large long sleeved t-shirt on. She has put her hair in a messy bun, one of those perfect messy buns that I'll never be able to master.

"So, Ivy, where are you from?" she asks, sitting on the stool.

"Here in Brookings."

"Yeah? And you go to Brown now?" she asks, pointing to my brown sweatshirt. "What's it like being so far from home?"

I shrug. "It's weird, I guess. Like, I came home this week to find my room has been turned into a movie filming room for my brother and his friends."