chapter fifteen.

"Hey, how are you?"

"I'm good."
I reply, sitting down next to him.
"How are you?"

"Tired."

"Oh, yeah?"

He nods.
"I don't think I can handle another night of Fallon's snoring."

Giggling, I scoot closer to him and hug my knees to my chest.

"Sorry we have to sit in the grass."
The brunette begins.
"I'd get us a table over there, but I'll get skinned if Onyx sees us together."

"I understand."
I sigh.
"Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah, of course."

"What did I do wrong?"
My voice might've sounded a little eager and desperate, so I made sure to clear my throat and calm down a little bit.
"I mean... they love Aspen and Blaire so much... I just don't understand it."

He get real quiet for a moment, biting his cheek as his blue eyes jump around the short green grass.
"I can't even answer that."

"Why not?"

"Because I'm still trying to figure it out myself."
He admits, expression defeated.
"Aspen is sweet, caring, and energetic, which is what they need, but he's also the only one who can stop Dekedrian from snapping someone's neck. Leyton, Jonah, Shannon, and JB can only do so much, but Aspen goes the extra mile just for the man."

Silence coming upon me, I swallow and nod, listening very carefully to what he was saying.

"Blaire is the kind of person that knows exactly what to do, even though he's never done it before."
He continues.
"As soon as you three came into Pod D, he had the mentality and knowledge of a prisoner, he knew exactly what to say, do, and how to act. I'm still trying to find out how he's so good at it. He's Onyx's star child, and he's everything I've tried to be for the past... well, forever, kinda."

"I thought I did everything right."
I breathe out.
"I can't be like them, though. I don't see a good side in Dekedrian like Aspen does, I don't have mannerisms like Blaire does, and I can't sit there with people who claim they're fair and square, when they really aren't that good of people."

"We're good, Chandler, we're as good as it gets."
He rasps, face coming closer to mine.
"Jb is a great leader and man, Jo is good, Cass is good, Brileigh can be good, Leyton is good. I-I wish you could see that!"

I was at a loss for words. What was I even supposed to say to that?

"I miss you, Chandler."
He whispers.
"I miss every single goddamn thing about you, and I can't even have you."

"You can have me..."
My voice breaks, eyes dropping a few tears as I began to feel my lungs ache, my stomach twist, and my heart pound.

He shakes his head.
"You're forbidden from Onyx."

"Who says they're watching?"