Chapter 15: A Welcomed Surprise

Kayla and I are laying on our beds one day after lunch waiting for our afternoon session to start when we get a knock on the door.

“Come in!” I call.

When the door opens, I am beside myself. Standing beside Francine is an unrecognizable boy. It takes me a second to realize I’m staring back at my brother!

“Omigosh omigosh omigosh Matthew!!!!!” I exclaim. I scramble into my wheelchair and follow Francine and Matthew out of the room.

“I’ll be back Kayla,” I say, shutting the door behind me.

I follow Matthew and Francine into a private meeting room on the other side of the rehab.

“What are you doing here Matthew?” I ask.

“I’m a patient. I had to be released from the care of the CPS because of some legal thing. I’m not a hundred percent sure why, but all that matters is that I’m here with you now. They were trying to get me to explain what I had gone through...that’s the thing I wrote in my letter to you...I wanted you to explain because you’ll be able to keep it together long enough.” Matthew explains.

I am still in shock that I am sitting before my brother that I don’t hear Francine ask me to go back to my room and get the letter. I race back to my room. Otis can barely keep up. I am so excited! He opens the door with his mouth and I roll in after him.

“I’m just grabbing a letter,” I explain to Kayla.

I find the letter in a pile of papers under my bed.

I return to the meeting room and hand it to Francine. I watch as she reads the heartbreaking words from my brother. When she is done, she looks from Matthew to me and back to the letter.

“We’re definitely going to have to take this with us when we go to the court hearing for Mr. and Mrs. McDavidson’s sentencing.” Francine explains.

By the look on Matthew’s face, he had no idea they were going ahead with criminal proceedings. I had my suspicions and I’m glad they were correct.

We spend the next couple weeks catching up for lost time, literally. By the time September 16th comes around, we are both prepared to testify. It is hard to believe that it has already been over a month since camp.