Chapter 17 // Oreos

Adelaide's Point of View

The amount of fake coughing I have participated in this week is more than I ever have in my entire life.

Today is the third day I've called in sick for work. Conviniently, those are my only three sicks days I recieve. But I was terrified of seeing Michael after the recent events. I knew he was going to be angry with me, and I was still upset that I had to slap one of my good friends in order to break up a fight.

"Hey baby," Calum called as he stepped inside my house, a brown package resting between his palms. A white string was effortlessly tied around the box along with an obnoxious stamp covering the corner. "This was on your porch."

I raised an eyebrow, taking it out of his hands and setting it on my kitchen counter. His family had returned home yesterday, so today was the first time this week that we have spent at my house. Every other day I could be found cooped up in his bedroom, participating in a never-ending sleepover. I quite enjoyed Calum's company and our ability to have fun doing nothing, and although I tend to get sick of people relatively easily, I didn't predict that it would be happening with Calum anytime soon.

My hand found a cerated knife in my silverware drawer and I used it to saw through the layers of tape covering the mail addressed to me. Once I had gotten it open, a box of fresh double-stuffed oreos were revealed and I squealed with absolute delight. "Oh my God! I haven't had Oreos since I was in America! These are my favorite food ever!"

Calum chuckled at me. "Ad, you do realize we sell Oreos in Australia too, right?"

My jaw dropped. "What? You do? I searched the entire grocery store and couldn't find them anywhere!"

"You probably just didn't search hard enough," He teased. "Who are they from?"

I glimpsed down, finding a small, orange colored paper of construction paper at the bottom of the box. I immediately knew from the shade of the letter that these were from my best friend Margo. "My friend Margo," I stated while grinning as I scanned over her words telling me how much she missed me and how happy she was for me to be out on an adventure like this.

Margo is my best friend from America, one of the few people I truly miss. Her name is actually Angela, but after she read a John Green novel, she changed her name to Margo and insisted everyone called her that instead. I felt guilty for rarely giving her a phone call, only scattered text messages when I wasn't busy with Calum. It was hard due to the time difference and due to her sucky phone bill that charged her for long distance. I needed to fill her in on my relationship status and ask her about her junior year of college, but I have yet to find the time.

I peeled back the plastic film covering the Oreos and picked one of them out. I fetched two glasses from the cupboard and placed them in front of us, pouring milk into each one, equally half full. I took out four cookies for myself and seperated them into two groups.

Calum laughed at me. "What are you doing now?"

"Two for eating with milk and two for eating without milk," I explained non-chalantly, shrugging my shoulders.