4

I saw Devin as soon as I got to school the next morning. When LiAngelo dropped me off, he was standing outside the front door talking to some of his friends.

"Make sure you don't get in trouble at school today." LiAngelo said to me, looking through the rear view mirror.

"Can't make any promises." I shrugged.

I say bye to LaMelo and LiAngelo and get out LiAngelo's white BMW 650i. I walk up the gray cement steps of Canyon Hills Junior High, and walk over to where Devin and his friends are standing, and say what's up to them.

"How you been Lani?" Devin pulls me into a hug, wrapping his arms around my waist. Which mad me naturally wrap my arms around his neck.

I was instantly hit with the smell of his cologne, causing me to just enjoy and savor the moment.

"Y'all needa date, for real." One of Devin's friends, Jalen, said.

"It is what it is." I said as Devin and I departed from our hug.

I was making my way inside of the building until, Devin stopped me to ask me something.

"How come you never texted me back over the weekend?" He pulled me back by my arm.

"Oh, that's cause I got a new phone." I pulled out my new iPhone 7 plus from my pocket. "Since all my brothers have one, my dad just went out and bought one for me."

"It's the same number though, right?" He asked, looking confused.

"To be honest, I don't even know if it's the same number." I laughed.

"Of course you wouldn't." Devin joked. "You're always confused about something."

"Shut up." I playfully rolled my eyes.

"Alright whatever, let's go inside so we're not late to first period." He said, while opening the front door to the school.

"Ok, but I'm gonna go to my Mom's office real quick before I go to my locker." I trailed behind him.

My mom is one of the 5 physical education teachers at my school. It's not all that bad having my mom work at my school because, every time I get kicked out of class for talking too much, they send me to my mom instead of to the office.

"I guess I'll come with." Devin turned around to look at me.

As I was walking in the packed hallways of Canyon Hills, I get a whole bunch of "heys" or "what's up?" from people I don't really associate with. A group of some bold ass sixth graders, actually came up to me and told me to tell my dad that he needs to shut up. I just ignored them, being that this is not the first time that this situation has happened. I finally reach the girls locker room, which is located towards the very end of the hallway.

"Uhh, I'm not sure I can go in there.." Devin eyed the girls locker room door.

I grabbed Devin by his wrist and tried to pull him. "Come on, I bet nobody's even in there."

"So? That don't I'm still going there." He tried to release himself from my grip.

We were standing there pulling each other for a good thirty seconds, until someone opened up the locker room.

"I'm gonna go fill up my water-- Lani! What are you guys doing?" My mom asked, giving us a look.

Devin and I instantly straightened up. "Nothing." We both said in unison.