Communication

*Micah* 

"Give me a chance to say I'm sorry," I whined through his bedroom door.

I'd gone to work earlier that day, as soon as I’d realized there was no school again today. There, it'd finally dawned on me why Gabriel was angry.

                 "How's your child bride's tantrums coming?"

                "You know you need to feed kids regularly."

Their laughing had made me wince internally. Maybe Gabriel had been acting childishly, but there had been no need for me to call attention to it. I knew he had trouble communicating, and, hell, frankly, everyone deserves to act like a child every once and a while. It may seem petty, but who else could you indulge yourself with if not your fiancé? And, instead, I'd drawn the entire office's attention to the bathroom, to giggle at him when he was already upset. Poor thing had gone from having a panic attack to being seemingly degraded before people from whom he'd been trying to earn respect. Respect I’d said I’d help him get. At that point, I had given myself a mental face palm and come home to try and talk with him.

Of course, instead of that, I'd hidden in my room doing paperwork rather than talking to him. At least I hadn't hidden in the bathroom.

Way to go, Micah. Even you can’t take him seriously. Very sincere, I thought sarcastically.

With the memory of his warm flesh still on my hands, and various other…spots on my body... I was getting a bit distracted leaning against his door.

I almost fell in - Actually, I did, as he opened the door, landing right on top of him. I wanted to sigh happily...until I noticed him wince as be rubbed the back of his head. Not to mention the strangled huff that was his attempt to gasp for breath. I'd really hurt him knocking him to the ground that way. I was just lucky his room was paved in carpet. I had been lucky he’d opened the door for me at all. And, if the stirring in my crotch would stop distracting me, maybe I could remember all that.

Could you really blame me? He was sprawled on his back, practically writhing beneath me…breathing provocatively…

"Sorry." I helped him up carefully.

God! I'm such a fucking oaf! How could I possibly expect him to sleep with - I mean, marry me?

He sighed and gestured to his desk chair. I vaguely leaned against his desk while he perched at the side of his bed carefully as an awkward silence built between us.

"I'm sorry," I reiterated, hoping he'd understand I didn't just mean for knocking him to the floor.

"You...do things..." he tried, "make me look, feel like a child...then I act like one - because you..." He grrred adorably, fingers tugging at his hair in frustration. My own fingers twitched, wishing they could take his place running through his sleek black hair that way. Down the back of his neck. Massage his shoulders.

Mop up the drool, Micah. You are trying to have a serious conversation here. I shook myself mentally and drew breath before realizing I didn't know what I was going to say.

"I'm sorry." I wish there hadn't been a conspicuously deigning pause before it came out of me. "I'm sorry I drew attention to you in the bathroom. I'm sorry I didn't let you handle Gad yourself. And, I'm sorry I couldn't take my hands off you in my bedroom."

...That last past just slipped out. If this had been a cartoon, I'd have done a full body blush before smoke came out my ears with a train whistle.

There was an awkward pause as the angel wrinkled his nose inscrutably. Again, something deep and definitely impure throbbed inside me. I don't think he caught what I just said, or else he was ignoring it, didn't believe it, or he didn’t take it the way it actually was meant. Gabriel did seem to convey a most self-depreciating nature.

"Let me make it up to you?" He turned and actually looked at me, and I feel into his deep chocolate brown eyes. 
"Gabriel Raul Arel, will you go on a date with me?"

Oh God! What was I doing?! Where was I supposed to take him? How would I pay for it? For God’s sake, he didn't even have any damn hobbies for me to indulge him in!

Or did he? I suddenly realized I didn't really know anything about my fiancé. I was like the naive princess in 'Frozen' who thought she fell in love with a man the first day she met him. Was an older sister going to come out of the woodwork to tell me I couldn't marry him? She would probably be his older sister, as there was no way Gabriel was the bad guy here.

I pictured Gabriel, practically swimming, in the clawed black and green cloak the evil godmother from sleeping beauty wore. I snorted mentally at the image.

"What?" Crap! I'd missed what he said! Of all the times to zone out!!!

"Yes," he was looking under his lashes at me, the cascade of all those long, raven bangs failing to hide his amusement at me. I'd probably just had a little panic attack of my own. But...All's well if he can laugh at me.

"Ok." I smiled. A little female rug rat charged the room and rescued me before an awkward silence could build and prove I'd asked impulsively. I managed to escape before he realized I'd never given him a day or time, let alone told him a destination I didn't actually have in mind.

If this were a fairytale, I’d return to my room to find a benevolent fairy godmother there to help me magic my way into my unsuspecting victim’s heart. Unfortunately, there was no otherworldly magic waiting for me behind closed doors.

Just how had Cinderella done it?

Maybe I should wear a dress. That would be sure to make him laugh.

------------------------------

A.N. Special thanks to Jasmine_M_Augustus for trying to create a cover for me. Seen on the right. Not exactly how I pictured Micah or Gabriel, but very well done piece of art all the same.

If anyone knows about the legality of using certin types of images in a cover, please let me know. I don't want to get my ass chewed for my cover. I think both images I used are public domain, but I'm not entirely sure they are. Or that the owners of the images put them there. Or if there are certin stipulations to using public domain images the way I did. Etc.