A Day at Home

*Gabriel*

I left my room mumbling grossly, massaging my weary temples.

High schools normally have this ‘no such thing as in climate weather’ policy. Yesterday, when every other school had had the sense to declare a snow day, Yorkshire High had forced its students out into the sightless blizzard of gentle white death. A school bus had had the misfortune to hydroplane off the road between two corn fields. Right into one of those eight foot drainage ditches that keep the fields from flooding too badly and ruining a crop yield. Luckily, no one was hurt. – Apparently, the school doesn’t think it’s liable for scrapes and bruises.

Today was bright and shiny. Most of the snow had melted, leaving an ugly white patched slush all over the place. The little kids were in school. Yet, the high school had panicked at the light hour or so flurries early that morning. Giving us the day off of school to make up for playing Russian Roulette with students’ lives the day before. A pleasant surprise, except – let’s face it – who gets ready for school before all possibility of a snow day is ruled out? Especially if you’re like me and woke up late for school.

So what did I do with my suddenly free morning? Well, the adrenaline rush of waking up late ruled out going back to sleep, despite it always being the best available option. There was one more addiction I’d been unable to indulge in recently, one of those few things that could lure me out of Metastopholies land of dreams.

The wonderful World of Warcraft.

My eyes had been glued to the screen for eight hours straight now. Hence, my aching temples.

“Gabriel, help me carry in groceries,” my mother called up the stairs again.

Guess it was about time for a break anyway, I thought. Lugging my lethargic body down the stairs.

I looked at the empty parking space in the garage, were Micah’s car sat, and was surprised by the ping of excitement that he hadn’t gone after my father to work this morning.

I carried the groceries in, a bit miffed that Micah hadn’t helped me bring them in.

I read the little blurb on the thick paper bag as I folded it and put it away.

If you frame the bag, is that recycling or reusing?

When you think your shopping bag just made a funny joke, you officially need a nap.

So I did.   On the couch.   Completely forgetting there was one little infantryman still in the house.

A large sandbag knocking the life out of my diaphragm was more than willing to remind me.

“Morning Abby.”

She giggled.

“M’or’ing ‘ippy head!”

God she was adorable!

“Wanna play a game?” I asked, a nefarious idea coming to light in my mind.

“YES!”

 “Ooof!” She winded me again bouncing up and down in excitement.

I’d sic all that excitement on a certain pompous Adonis.

Micah was so going to have to pay. He so deserved this.

-------------------------------------------

"Shh," I hushed Abby.

We continued onwards, our unsuspecting prey in sight – distracted by his computer screen. I worried about the computer for a moment, but decided the wireless keyboard and mouse, in addition to the fact that it was a desktop, would get it through this relatively unharmed.

Abby giggled again. I stopped and shushed her again before motioning the troops onwards once more.

Our prey was in sight! 

No laughing now trooper!

 With that same telepathic ability her sister sometimes displayed, she nodded stoically. I was so proud!

We pounced!

The tussle!

And suddenly I was breathless and trapped under somewhere around two hundred pounds of warm, solid muscle. (*Que shiver here*)

"Trapped! G'noll trapped!" Abby yelled, whacking at her brother in an enthusiastic attempt to free her 'General'. As any good four year old would.

“Oh, I’m so gonna get you!” He lunged for her. I grabbed at him, putting my all into throwing him off balance.

“Get out of here soldier! Run for your life,” Abby took off screaming like a banshee – much to her nanny’s chagrin.
Last time she let us participate at play time.

Micah and I were too busy rolling around on the ground laughing our lungs out.

Gaining some control of himself, the big man turned to me with a suspicious gleam to his eye.

“Oh, no! I don’t know what you’re thinking, but I don’t like it! Knock it off!”

He lunged at me. I fought desperately to get away as he proceeded to tickle torture me.

“Oh, god!”

“No!”

“Please stop!”

I begged and pleaded, finally resorting to trying to pop one of his eyeballs with my thumb to get the point across that I was serious.

“Ow!” He pouted, kneeling over me.

I just glared back at him from my curl on the soft carpeted floor.

“Ok! Sorry!”

Oh look, the hulk could read minds too.

I continued glowering at him. Somewhat glad to hear the nanny taking Abby back in hand, ending my overwrought attempt to entertain her agile mind.

“So,” he broke in placidly. “Are we going to talk about yesterday?”

I glared at him.

“Jesus, Gabriel!” And he intended to kiss me with that mouth? “I’m sorry, OK! Whatever I did wrong, I’m sorry! OK!”

Did he even realize his 'apology' was depreciating me? Implying that I was being unreasonable. That I was in the wrong. And that was supposed to placate me?!

He was being worse than Gad! At least Gad was an outright douche. Micah wasn’t any kind of douche. No, he was a fleeping angel further pathing my road to hell with all his damn good intentions!

“Don’t talk to me like that!”

“Like what?!” He growled in frustration.

I just shook my head, wishing I had the words to tell him. Wishing he could see it all for himself.